FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closed Captioning files and Transcription Text files

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Burleson
Closed Captioning files and Transcription Text files
on Mar 14, 2014 at 5:32:51 pm

Can CATDV keep the closed caption files and transcription files with the original source raw video (Interview) or master sequence file so that they always are pulled up together in a search query?

What flavors of Closed Captioning will CATDV work with?
What Text files would work for CATDV? Word .docx ?
Simple Text?

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Closed Captioning files and Transcription Text files
on Mar 14, 2014 at 6:29:47 pm

without getting into the closed captioning or subtitle formats, I put documents of all kinds in CatDV directories all the time. All I'm caring about is finding them though. But when I'm looking for the .SRT file for a show it's in the catalog of elements pertaining to that show.
I use all sorts of formats, .RTF and .TXT and nowadays some .pages but rarely .doc. Just not a fan.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Mar 14, 2014 at 6:32:29 pm

Oh yeah. When I have the time I put transcription files into the verbatim logger. Then it's permanent and makes life much easier.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 17, 2014 at 4:16:18 pm

Couple of thoughts.

The Notes field is one to be careful of in certain workflows as the Verbatim Logger can overwrite your info with a single "save". You might want to create your own field and then put that into an HTML view for better viewing and search.

And then, CatDV has no true way to associate files together other than by metadata or catalog, meaning that there are no "look ups" per se. (There are some exceptions to this and I'm sure support will kick in with them, but they are exceptions and not the rule.)

If you have a programming code of some sort, for the content, you can easily enter the code in both and then search as needed. (This would be a great thing to cut and paste into that field we mention above in addition to the text of the transcription or title.)

CatDV is an asset management tool, always remember this, it's not really for programming data and unless you have very good security, be careful as it can be easy to edit things and no one would know. Lock those fields!

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]