FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV and MySQL-tweaks

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Fosserud
CatDV and MySQL-tweaks
on Mar 3, 2014 at 10:04:33 am

Hi!

I'm currently running CatDV Server 6.8.2 with MySQL 5.6 and was wondering if anybody got any useful tweaks for MySQL thats CatDV-specific?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV and MySQL-tweaks
on Mar 3, 2014 at 4:55:48 pm

We stay away from anything but hardware beef ups. CatDV does it's setup upon install and we mostly leave it alone. As it's annoying to call support for anything and find out that you're out of spec, or in an unsupported config.

That said, if you're a solid sys admin and for some reason can't run stock, I'm sure there are things you could do.

Is there something you're looking for in specific? North Shore is testing MariaDB currently for our larger installs but we've run MySQL unaltered for years now.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Jan Fosserud
on Mar 4, 2014 at 10:57:57 am

You bring up a good point here and maybe I'm looking for solutions in the wrong place.

Our current CatDV Server is a Xserve 2x2,26GHz Quad-Core with 24GB RAM and running from a Samsung Enterprise 480GB SSD (with daily backups). I recently changed our system drive to SSD and was hoping for a better responsiveness than I got.

We have about 20 people (on and off) who are logging on different reality shows, mostly the catalogues range from 20-60 clips, but we're experiencing a rather "long" delay when opening catalogs. A catalog containing let's say 30 clips often takes around 15-20 seconds to open. This doesn't happen all the time and its not the end of the world, but I just want to make sure we're getting the most out of our server.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 4, 2014 at 5:02:54 pm

You didn't mention the clip count in your db. How many do you have in there? That's a big part of performance in CatDV db's.

One other way to check that something's not amiss is to search on a copy of CatDV local to the server, to eliminate any chance that your network is causing issues.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Jan Fosserud
on Mar 5, 2014 at 7:35:00 am

As of now, we have around 340 000 clips in the whole database. Each project/tv-show have around 10 000 clips divided in different catalogs (usually one catalog per memory card/xdcam-disc/etc).

I see that the Thumbnails are pretty huge. Does CatDV load these files even if has access to the video files?

I tested out opening different catalogs locally on the CatDV Server and I'm experiencing the same delay there - around 2-3 seconds less than on our clients. Housekeeping is on.

Out of curiosity - what is considered a big CatDV database regarding clips?

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 12, 2014 at 10:28:07 pm

That's a reasonably large system you have there but should be manageable. You're right that loading and processing thumbnails is a key factor affecting CatDV performance so thinking about how many thumbnails (and how big they are) is important when working with large catalogs. The thumbnails are stored in the database so they're available whether or not you have access to the video files. You have to remember there are lots of different possible ways of using CatDV depending on your specific workflow requirements. Often, the files will have been archived (on tape or removable storage) and if you don't have proxies the thumbnails may be the only visual record you have of a clip.

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
on Mar 4, 2014 at 12:44:32 pm

Hi Jan

The best tweak you can do to improve your Db performance is to put the Db on an SSD

As they can support multiple simultaneous read /write operations Db throughput is orders of magnitude faster than using spinning disks

( this is actually slowed down even further with most raid configs so multiple spinning disks = worse performance)

Bryson is spot on advising against customisation we very rarely need to change any mysql settings from the installed defaults and this only really happens for our larger users who have very large Db's or specific custom CatDV enhancements

so our advice is to replace the disk in your catdv server with an SSD and then use the old disk for time machine / backups to give yourself resilience and peace of mind.

Also make sure you back up your Db regularly and enable housekeeping in the server control panel this will run every time you start the server and can also be run manually from the tools menu of the server control panel

Also see our guide to backing up catdv here http://www.squarebox.com/catdv-backups/ and keep an eye on the resiliance and houskeeping section of our tutorials pages for our guides on scripting and automating backups on pc /mac which will be published in the next week or so

thank you Dougal

Improvise Adapt and Overcome

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 5, 2014 at 11:24:05 pm

Hey there,

Yes, thumbs load no matter what and so limiting them (how many do you really need per clip anyway?) is a good idea. You can set CatDV to just take a couple and then add them later if you need more. Default extraction should be low.

We have many clients nearing 1,000,000 assets and one that's over 3 million. (They are having speed challenges with a "regular" server and MySQL and we are working on tweaks now.)

Squarebox recommends that you move to MS SQL if you are going to run a db in the millions of assets.

One note, North Shore is evaluating MariaDB currently and are seeing 25 to 30% speed increases on the same hardware over MySQL. It's not currently officially supported and there is no compiled version for OS X so it's a challenging install. But if the tests prove solid it may become a supported db for CatDV.

We are working on hardware configs for deployments larger than 1,000,000 assets and know that each version of CatDV Server gets faster and more efficient. (Imagine that from a software company!) So I'd expect CatDV to grow along with its clients very well.

Note that most other DAM/MAM products in this price range top out far below this number. Axle currently supports 300k and Cantemo Portal's base license is for 300k with a license option to expand to 1 million before you must move to the enterprise product.

I'll be discussing some of this at NAB in sessions on the floor, as how you choose to use a DAM and your archive system can really impact your database size.

All assets are not created equal. ;)

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]