FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scene Detect poster frame / thumbnail deletion?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Goddard
Scene Detect poster frame / thumbnail deletion?
on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:06:32 pm

I have a server with 31,000 thumbnails created when scene detects were activated. I am following the instructions to delete all of these but with little success. Selecting all clips in catalog and choosing 'delete' and recreate with single thumbnail for each clip is still retaining the thumbnails.

The strange thing is that CatDV performs the task, taking several minutes but afterwards the thumbnails are still there.

Any ideas?

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://neoverite.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Scene Detect poster frame / thumbnail deletion?
on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:21:22 pm

try under:
Media/Build Thumbnails
There's a series of checkboxes. One of them is delete existing thumbnails. Make sure it's checked. Usually works for me.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:25:47 pm

It's checked. I have to feel this is a bug somehow. I have tried in different client versions. Running MySQL 5.5.43, Server 6.8.1 on 10.8.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:58:39 pm

Yeah, Scott that sounds like db drama.

Scene Detect is a good way to make your db nice and fat isn't it? ;)

So everyone knows here, scene detect should be used sparingly. It creates a thumbnail for every scene. On a long clip, this can be hundreds of thumbnails and those all get written into the db.

If your db slows down after doing a bunch of scene detections, know that this may be the cause. It's a cool feature but you should monitor it and use it sparingly instead of running it on everything.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:25:42 pm

Hey Bryson,

Yes, you leave them to it for a while and they go and create 31K... I have raised this with squarebox, ie the need to being able to detect the scenes without creating the thumbnails.. I guess its on a list.

A lot of my clients use scene detect heavily for event markers and shotlisting.

Anyway, it still does not explain why the rebuild thumbnails tool does not actually delete them. Any ideas on a workaround to deleting them?

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:55:44 pm

You could do it in the db layer but that's really dangerous and should only be done if you can't get it back any other way and only by a serious SQL admin.

Back up, dump the db into another machine and do the deletions there. If it works and everything looks ok, bring it back to the main machine.

I'd wait for SB support to check it. I'm betting you've found a bug.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:57:48 pm

Yes, I will wait to see what SB says.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on Mar 12, 2014 at 11:27:25 am

Ok, so for anyone with this issue here is a solution from SquareBox. There will apparently be a fix for this bug in server 6.9. Please note that this will remove all thumbnails as stated but the server will still state the size as before in the sever admin panel 'server status' tab.

From SB:

The following SQL command will delete all thumbnails other than a single poster thumbnail per clip. Double click the URL line (in the Database section of the CatDV control panel) then copy and paste the following line into the Query window that appears:

delete thumbnail.* from thumbnail left outer join clip on thumbnail.id = clip.posterId where clip.posterId is null

IMPORTANT: please take extreme care when directly running SQL commands as it is easy for a single command to corrupt or delete your entire database without warning and no ability to undo! Use the Backup command and ensure you have an up to date backup before running any SQL commands.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 12, 2014 at 3:47:36 pm

Thanks Scott, let's clarify a few things for the folks who may not read all the way back in the thread.

This deletes ALL the thumbs for all clips in your database. (Am I correct here?)

That means that if you have assets in an archive and not online, you'll need to restore all of them (perhaps not possible/feasible for some folks) in order to recreate the thumbs for those assets.

Also, I'd not only have a backup, but a very clear understanding of the restore process ready to go before performing this action if you have a system in production.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]