FORUMS: list search recent posts

Worker node fails to convert large videos

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane French
Worker node fails to convert large videos
on Feb 9, 2014 at 4:26:08 pm

We have a large amount of mpg and h.264 files that are about 4.5 hours in length, recorded at around 30 Mbit. That makes the files about 60 GB each.

I am trying to use Worker to convert these down to 10 Mbit rate (for archiving), but the process fails.

Here's the error I get:

Import as Movie, resulting in one clip, type Movie, duration 4:27:56;03
Conversion failed
quicktime.std.StdQTException[QTJava:7.6.0g],-108=memFullErr,QT.vers:7748000

The same process works fine for shorter files. It's just these large ones that are having issues.

Server is dual Xeon 2650 with 128 GB RAM.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Worker node fails to convert large videos
on Feb 9, 2014 at 5:31:01 pm

I'd confirm that they work to and from the same locations, with the same file names using QT Pro or Compressor and then contact support.

If you're on a PC which I suspect from the machine spec, and you can't sort it, (these are pretty unusual at 4+ hours) you can call an outside app to do it for you from a Worker action.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Shane French
on Feb 10, 2014 at 5:34:28 am

I've been investigating this issue.

Yep, I am on PC.

My source files are h.264. I attempted to open/export with QT Pro. It exports the audio only (video track is 0 kb/s and plain white). Have tried on 2 different systems - same result.

If source is other than h.264 QT Pro will export to h.264 fine.

So I'm thinking that may be what the problem is. Or at least it's another problem unrelated to CatDV (not sure if once this issue is resolved it will fix the CatDV issue).

I've spent the past two hours looking for a fix on forums, Google, etc...lots of reports of this white export issue. No fixes that seem to work.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 10, 2014 at 5:51:29 pm

One thing I can confirm, if QT breaks, then the Worker will too, in most cases.

Seek your answer elsewhere and if you want to resolve it quickly, find another, command line or API controllable transcoding solution (Episode maybe?) and move the transcodes off of Quicktime.

You can maybe sort this, but if it goes over a couple of days, just move on as it may not be worth it.

Quicktime is getting stranger and stranger as time goes on.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Shane French
on Feb 10, 2014 at 10:24:35 pm

Thanks Bryson, I'm going to give Episode a test tonight. You're right, QT is flaky on Windows (Gamma issues, 32-bit only, the issue I'm having, etc. etc.).

Will post results here.

Return to posts index

Brad Starkey
on Feb 11, 2014 at 7:24:30 pm

Probably some feature of AVC was used that QT 7 can't understand.

I've seen this a bunch with H.264 mp4s (AVC Coding) If you do a Save as in QT Pro does it say "incorrect time values".

Anyways, I can get QT to export these type of files by choosing export and select a matching framerate, Do not select "Current" Frame rate. If you select "Current" You'll get the white screen. Thats worked for every file I've gotten like that. Give it a try

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 11, 2014 at 11:13:28 pm

Boom, Starkey with the assist.

Thx man, that's good to know. I see AVC errors all the time and never tied it to framerate.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Shane French
on Feb 12, 2014 at 2:54:12 am

Haha, that indeed worked to solve the white videos problem! I didn't get an incorrect time error when I did a Save As, but exporting and selecting 29.97 instead of Current actually output video.

That said, I think I'm still going to integrate a different encoder into the workflow. But at least I know the solution to the "white video" issue if I ever see it again.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]