FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bug?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Whitney Sickels
Bug?
on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:31:16 pm

Hi there,

We've encountered a bug and I'll try to explain as best as possible here.

With the CatDV application open, we choose a clip in a catalog and "Reveal in Finder", open the video in QT 7 and if we enable/disable the Timecode Track under 'Show Movie Properties', then save, it corrupts the file and is no longer recognized as a video file. Therefore, we must delete it from CatDV, recapture and re-enter it into CatDV.

If CatDV is closed, we don't seem to have this problem.

Best,
Whitney

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Bug?
on Jul 19, 2010 at 6:13:14 pm

[Whitney Sickels] "With the CatDV application open, we choose a clip in a catalog and "Reveal in Finder", open the video in QT 7 and if we enable/disable the Timecode Track under 'Show Movie Properties', then save, it corrupts the file and is no longer recognized as a video file"

You are physically changing the file by re-saving it while the application is open. The exact same thing would happen if you were working in another application. It might not get corrupted in the app, but in Final Cut Pro for example, the clip would go offline and I would need to point it back to that file.

If I change the file while FCP is closed, it will at first get confused but then relink to the re-saved file on its own during start up.

I'm thinking CatDV is acting the same way. Just curious why you are doing this. There's no reason to re-save a clip in QT just because you switched from the counter to the TC display.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 20, 2010 at 10:54:17 pm

I can't reproduce that but what you describe, it's possible that CatDV is keeping the file open (it certainly would be open if the clip is selected and a movie player is open, but it might also keep it open a little while after that also) and maybe that is confusing QuickTime Player. It sounds like an issue in QuickTime Player if it's corrupting the file however.

Return to posts index

Whitney Sickels
on Jul 21, 2010 at 8:40:35 am

The video was brought in through AJA, but the Timecode Track was not selected. So I went into the Movie Properties of QT 7 and turned it on, with CatDV open... The video I was selecting the Timecode Track for was in a different catalog and not selected in CatDV.

In response to the previous answer from Walter... If you select Timecode Track in Movie Properties (to turn it ON first since it wasn't turned on when it was captured, not just switching from the counter) it asks if you want to save it before you close, so it forces you to resave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]