FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV Mac & PC mix issues

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vik Narayan
CatDV Mac & PC mix issues
on Jan 24, 2014 at 8:22:54 pm

Hi all

What is a recommended workflow for taking proxy files to a local drive for the purposes of logging remotely? We have the catalogs on a CatDV Enterprise server with Original and Proxy files living on the SAN. We would like our producer to be able to use the verbatim logger on his PC laptop remotely by connecting to the server through VPN and accessing the catalog but linking to a copy of the proxy files saved locally on his PC.

My question specifically is, should we adopt a permanent local folder on his pc and add a local path to his copy of CatDV Pro client so this does not reflect in the proxy paths for the rest of the in-house Catdv clients? Will CatDV smoothly switch the lookup locations based on if the laptop is in-house with direct access to the SAN or on the road connecting through VPN?

We are running CatDV Pro 10.0.7 Clients and server 6.8. I don't know if I need to provide more info but will be happy to.

Thank you
Vik Narayan

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV Mac & PC mix issues
on Jan 27, 2014 at 5:15:27 pm

Vik, you have it right.

If you add additional paths to the settings under "Media Search Paths" CatDV will look at all of them until it finds the one it needs. So adding the PC path to the settings won't affect the Mac systems, nor will adding a local PC path affect the systems that can see the network.

So in this way, you can have proxy on the laptop and then when they are in the office they will just re-link to the network share.

Re-sync or copy the proxy directories you need before the trip and the producer can view as if they were in the office. (Providing you have the catalogs local as well.)

Sometimes an external drive makes this easier to manage as you can just sync the whole proxy share if it's not too big.

A little testing should get this sorted.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Vik Narayan
Re: CatDV Mac & PC mix issues
on Jan 27, 2014 at 7:30:51 pm

Thank you Bryson

The floating external drive sounds like a great idea. I'll try it out.

Vik Narayan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]