FORUMS: list search recent posts

MySQL vs CatDV Built in Database (Based on H2)

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Goddard
MySQL vs CatDV Built in Database (Based on H2)
on Jan 10, 2014 at 12:44:03 pm

I am looking to establish some pros and cons between the two database systems.

Aside from this http://database-management-systems.findthebest.com/compare/16-30/H2-vs-MySQ...

Does anyone have any real world experience of the new built in system? Personally I have only used MySQL.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://neoverite.com

Return to posts index

John Vaudin
Re: MySQL vs CatDV Built in Database (Based on H2)
on Jan 10, 2014 at 1:54:06 pm

Our primary motivation for introducing the built-in database (based, as you say, on H2) was to simplify installation and set-up, since it's all built in to CatDV Server itself there is nothing additional to download or install. It would be particularly suitable for people just getting started with CatDV.

However, it has to be said, that we have been very impressed by the performance of H2. It generally holds its own very well against MySQL and in many cases out-performs it.

The main advantage, at this point, of MySQL is that it more mature command line support, so it is easier to do things like set up automated backups and there is more accumulated wisdom floating about on the interwebs.

Another contender that is worth considering is MariaDB, which is a fork of MySQL but without the problematic Oracle associations. We are in the process of evaluating it, and we are seriously thinking about switching over to using it. You may notice that the MySQL driver that ships with newer versions of CatDV is actually the MariaDB one, so the process is already under-way to some extent. I understand that Google, the largest user of MySQL, has switched over to MariaDB too.

One thing I should say is that it is very easy to switch from any of the supported databases to any other. There is support built-in to the CatDV Control Panel to migrate data from one database to another, so it's fine to start out using H2, and then if you feel you want to move to MySQL or MariaDB (or SQL Server for that matter) just migrate the data and away you go.

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on Jan 10, 2014 at 1:57:14 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for the heads up on this. Very interesting.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://neoverite.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jan 11, 2014 at 1:53:45 am

Scott, we're evaluating this for a client as I type. (Damien actually fired up CatDV with MariaDB under it at last NAB in our demo suite.)

You do need to compile MariaDB yourself currently, but of course if Squarebox adopts it I'm sure there will be compiled versions out there. (Hint hint, John.) ;)

The reasons John laid out in his post are North Shore's reasons for staying as well. We know it, and there are tons of scripts and tools for working with it. For instance, all of our deployments include a script that automatically backs up the db to a network share several times a day. We didn't see the need to re-write and test those. For that reason as well as the lack of data on CatDV with high file counts on H2, we've stayed MySQL.

We were driven to MariaDB by our clients getting up over 3 million assets and needing something stronger but not really wanting to deal with MSSQL licensing etc. So we're testing and sharing data as we get it with Squarebox.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]