FORUMS: list search recent posts

Number of items in catalog

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane French
Number of items in catalog
on Jan 9, 2014 at 10:38:36 pm
Last Edited By Shane French on Jan 9, 2014 at 10:53:57 pm

We have a syndicated radio show, which also does live video and extensive TV work. We're looking to streamline our asset management, and put audio and video in same system.

We currently use Soundminer for audio-only management. This provides us instant search/access to our sound-fx library, which has about 125,000 sfx. Soundminer works with that in 1 library just fine.

On top of that we have about 25,000 more assets. So let's say around 150,000 assets total. 90% audio, 10% video.

Here's the question: we want to be able to have all that available online for instant search/retrieval. For instance, the show may talk randomly about something and the sfx guy needs to be able to do a search and playout in 1 or 2 seconds. Also, the show may reference a video from a year ago and look for instant playout of said video.

My understanding is that CatDV likes to limit it's catalogs to less than 10,000 items. That obviously wouldn't work for us.

We WOULD be getting the Enterprise Server, which would allow us to search across catalogs I believe. Is search/retrieval instant (like searching through a single catalog on the standalone pro version)? If so, that solves the issue - we'd just segment our sfx libraries, video libraries, etc.

Additionally, we plan on deploying on extremely powerful dual xeon server (20 cores total, 128 GB RAM) if that helps matters at all.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Number of items in catalog
on Jan 9, 2014 at 11:04:51 pm

Workgroup and Enterprise will search across catalogs. It's reasonably quick. Though I'm not sure if the workflow would be a perfect solution for a live show. Catalogs are generally considered best under about 5,000 clips.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]