FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to export a catalogue from the main computer retaining proxies

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernesto Livon-Grosman
How to export a catalogue from the main computer retaining proxies
on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:53:50 pm

I would like to make a copy of a catalogue, proxies included, in order to take it with me on the road. I tried copying the catalogue and the proxies to my laptop but I can't reconnect them as a batch even redefinig the path, I have to do it one by one. Is there a good, simple, way of exporting a catalogue to a new machine (also running CatDV Pro)without having to reconnect each clip? Thanks in advance, e.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: How to export a catalogue from the main computer retaining proxies
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:27:00 pm

It's both easy and relatively bullet proof to setup. It assumes that you're using "path" as the way to locate your proxies. My Proxies are all on a portable USB drive. And they're very small, highly compressed mp4 copies, so an awful lot of them, all of them, fit on an external USB drive. Then the path to the proxies needs to point to the external drive for the new machine. Or to wherever you place them. I'm using the laptop remotely to search the proxies. The catalog itself is exported as a local catalog and copied onto the new machine.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Ernesto Livon-Grosman
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:56:57 pm

Thank you Robb. It makes sense. Now, the problem I am having is that although I point the path to the folder where I have the proxies it does not connect them but and I have to do it one by one. What could I be doing wrong that does not connect?
e.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Jan 9, 2014 at 12:02:38 am

The paths just need to be correct. Sometimes easier said than done. Mine have been a little confused because our methodology has changed over the years, as have the storage locations of both original media and proxies. You can see how messy in the image below. Anyway. It should be a matter of redirecting CatDV on the new computer to the new location of the proxies. I've made it easier for myself by cloning all the proxies. It was easier when we were using Final Cut and the file names were easier to identify. Going back to Avid the names are a lot more obscure. But one thing I do is include the reel name and number as the first few characters of the file name. Makes locating things easier.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]