FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV in a mixed Mac/Windows Environment

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Babcock
CatDV in a mixed Mac/Windows Environment
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:29:11 pm

Hey Everyone,
I working on windows based CatDV Pro server and I've run into a problem that worker node thinks any files added from macs are offline. I saw some older posts saying there isn't a solution but I'm hoping they are out of date and maybe there is a way to fix this these days? Any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
Re: CatDV in a mixed Mac/Windows Environment
on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:34:43 pm

So I figured out how to set path mapping in Worker Node so it now tries to process the files but they always fail with error

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Volumes/Platform/Exports/file name - file offline

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:44:47 pm

This is a common problem. We tend to be very specific in our actions going from Mac to PC and often have to do command line scripting outside of the Worker GUI to accommodate the paths.

Rolf or John, can you speak to the current state of the pathing in the Worker? If the Path Mapping is set up and consistent should this work?

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

John Vaudin
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:41:25 pm

Sadly - it is a common confusion - and it something we're looking at making clearer in the near future, but the short answer is that, assuming the path mappings are all in place it should work fine.

One of the things that often catches people out, setting up the path mappings, is that the 'original folder' refers to the folder where the media was when it was ingested into CatDV, and will be the value stored in the database and displayed in CatDV as 'Media Path'. This path may well not be a valid path on the Worker machine - so you need a mapping that goes from the media path stored in the database to the real path on the worker machine.

Also, if you ingest on both Macs and PCs then you may need to double up on the mappings - i.e. from Mac path to Worker machine path and from Windows path to Worker Machine path.

Hope that helps. To be any more specific we'd need to know what you're media paths are, and what your rules are.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:37:59 pm

Also, please be aware that there was a problem with worker 5.0.6 that meant that path mappings didn't work properly but this has been fixed in 5.0.7 at http://www.squarebox.com/download/

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Dec 19, 2013 at 1:31:02 am

You guys are my heroes! The update from 5.0.6 to 5.0.7 resolved the problem! I really really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out. I'm also glad I'm not crazy and that I did in fact have it set up correctly. I was really starting to have doubts.

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Dec 19, 2013 at 8:36:04 pm

Looks like I spoke a little too soon.

Worker node with the update to 5.0.7 now correctly sees and creates proxies but is running into a problem with where it stores the files. It should go into CatDV Proxies/D/Platform but instead it is going to CatDV Proxies/Volumes/Platform so it doesn't' show up in CatDV.

Currently my only idea is to have two separate automations, one to process files added from a PC and one to process files added from a Mac. It seems a bit inefficient so I figure there is probably a better way to do this. Thanks in advance for the help.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:47:26 pm

Man, splitting automations is pretty common.

I'm still thinking your path might be weird. /D/Platform seems strange unless that volume mounts to the mac as "D", as in /Volumes/D.

If the volume mounts on the Mac as /Volumes/Platform and on a PC as "D:" then you can deal with that as an equivalent path. But "CatDV Proxies/D/Platform" seems strange as a path.

Also, if possible, use UNC paths so that the mapping gets even easier to parse. Drive letters can be tricky for many reasons.

If the mac path is: /Volumes/Platform

Then the PC path could be \192.168.1.1Platform and that's easy to manage and keep straight.

Not sure if that's what's going on but it looks that way.

If you have an equiv between /Volumes/Platform and \192.168.1.1Platform and vice versa as John mentioned, it should all map correctly.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Jan 9, 2014 at 10:26:47 pm

Tanks for the info everyone!

Proxies are now working perfectly for me. I ended up using two different automations to create the proxies. The one to handle mac files adds its proxies to hierarchy that the windows machines create. Then for playback I needed 4 path mappings. One to map pc proxies to pc clients, one for mac proxies to pc clients and then one to map mac proxies to macs and one to map pc proxies to mac clients. Here are the mappings I used for future reference for anyone else. Oh and for the PC mappings I used UNC mapping.

PC
* ->\platform1PlatformCatDV Proxies
/Volumes/Platform ->\platform1PlatformCatDV Proxies
Mac
D:Platform -> /Volumes/Platform/CatDV Proxies/D/Platform
/Volumes/Platform -> /Volumes/Platform/CatDV Proxies/D/Platform

Not sure if this the 'proper' way to do it but it is working well for me so far.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jan 10, 2014 at 8:47:31 pm

Good news,

Thanks for reporting the mappings as well. It's nice to see solutions pitched back onto the board.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Jan 10, 2014 at 9:16:38 pm

Haha a good forum is a like a take one leave one penny jar.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]