FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV with StorageDNA - Reverse Archive Workflow

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bryson jones
CatDV with StorageDNA - Reverse Archive Workflow
on Nov 4, 2013 at 6:37:55 pm

I know we've discussed a lot of great archiving options on here and we at North Shore, work with a lot of them (Cache-A, SGL, Atempo, Archiware etc.) I was recently asked to explain the way StorageDNA works with CatDV and so I turned what was originally an email, into a blog post.

There are several ways that a DAM can interact with an archiving system and SDNA has 2 possible workflows.

1 - "Traditional", where the DAM/MAM imports the asset and sends the job to the archive via automation or manual process.

2 - A new idea, that we were involved in developing, where the archive system catalogs the assets and delivers selected metadata and paths to the DAM/MAM via automation and then the DAM can either process the files and add proxy etc. or just record the path and archive info and move on.

This "Reverse Archive Workflow" has proven really great for people with large sets of older data that they need to archive and make searchable but might not have time to do a full ingest and logging pass due to time/budget restraints.

It's also worked well for people with lots of non-video assets like vfx houses where you might not need thumbnails and a lot of metadata for 50,000 similar files in an image sequence.

Check it out here:

StorageDNA Workflows With Catdv-explained

Hope this sparks some ideas for folks dealing with huge asset counts.

If you have questions, post them here and I'll do my best to answer.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]