FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV mass renamed on its own

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mindy Trim
CatDV mass renamed on its own
on Sep 30, 2013 at 7:13:09 pm

Our company has been using CatDV since May and a crazy thing happened. Our master photo archive that we have been working on since May suddenly renamed everything before today to be one uniform name in the notes section.

All we did was open the Master photo archive and everything had changed. Our Asset Manager had only finished archiving, the day before, the new image assets from set. He had not changed or batch modified anything other then the newly imported assets. The name change also has nothing to do with what he newly archived. We also noticed the Master photo archive now claims to have been created today as opposed to May of this year. The backup also suddenly changed and we lost all those months of archiving information. Only one other person has access to these and they have not opened it since last month.

the assets are located on a central drive the two computers access
operating on Mac OS 10.7.06
CatDV Pro 10.0.1

We are taking steps to manually save copies on another drive and desktops but, What could cause this? Has this happened before?

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: CatDV mass renamed on its own
on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:34:32 pm

Are you running CatDV Server? Have you checked the logs for that system (everything shows in the log)?

I can't speak to what might have happened, but I am curious as to why you are still running 10.0.1 when the current CatDV desktop version is 10.0.7?

There has been a whole lot of goodness baked into the newer versions since your 10.0.1.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Mindy Trim
on Sep 30, 2013 at 10:05:18 pm

Not a CatDV server and IT guy is a weee bit behind on the updates.

Here is the section of code when everything went wrong

** Entry 'still/gj3vkv/IMGP8254.jpg' 3646:0 is used 2 times ***
[15:48:24.702]
loaded 10998 clips
Open Catalog: 1 thumbnail(s) are missing from the catalog
and need to be rebuilt.
[15:48:24.765]
Deactivated java.awt.event.WindowEvent[WINDOW_DEACTIVATED,opposite=javax.swing.JDialog[dialog8,1008,631,308x112,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,APPLICATION_MODAL,title=Open Catalog,defaultCloseOperation=HIDE_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,0,22,308x90,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthBorder@1efdf93,flags=16777673,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true],oldState=0,newState=0] on frame4
[15:48:26.897]
Loaded /Volumes/DX800RAID_1/Master Images.cdv, 10998 clips
Total memory: 91764K
Creating squarebox.catdv.$1.$35[title=,database=null]
Registering drag recipient on class squarebox.catdv.$1.$43 enabled=true
Registering drag recipient on class squarebox.$0.$7 enabled=true
Registering drag recipient on class squarebox.catdv.$1.$35$19 enabled=true
Registering drag recipient on class javax.swing.JViewport enabled=true
setView Normal
baseFont java.awt.Font[family=Dialog,name=Dialog,style=plain,size=11]
updateMenus took 11ms
Build elements: total=10998 hidden=0 accepted=10998
build took 2
Viewing 10998 of 10998 clips
>setWindowSize
window bounds=java.awt.Rectangle[x=0,y=0,width=2560,height=1440] insets=java.awt.Insets[top=22,left=0,bottom=4,right=0]
[15:48:26.979]
== setvisible false ==
== setvisible false ==
[15:48:27.090]
Registering drag recipient on class squarebox.catdv.$1.$101 enabled=true
Registering drag recipient on class squarebox.catdv.$1.$101$1 enabled=true
=== CLIP null ===
Load null
=== CLIP null ===
Load null
updateMenus took 10ms
Performing action: SelectFilter at Sep 30, 2013 15:48:27
Grouping1 changed to: Season
Viewing 3905 of 10998 clips (10998 in total)
collectionChanged min=-1 max=-1 (anchor=-1 lead=-1)
Viewing 3905 of 10998 clips (10998 in total)
[15:48:27.188]
Registering drag recipient on class squarebox.catdv.$1.$30 enabled=true
Performing action: GroupByCombo1 at Sep 30, 2013 15:48:27
Performing action: GroupByCombo1 at Sep 30, 2013 15:48:27
[15:48:27.256]
pp java.awt.Dimension[width=0,height=0]
pp java.awt.Dimension[width=0,height=0]
[15:48:27.329]
Saving /Users/Shared/Square Box/CatDVLicense.xml
Saving /Users/AR/Library/Preferences/CatDV Preferences.$$$
[15:48:27.382]
Job took 6078ms
Finishing Thread[JobRunner$WorkThread-3,5,main]
Work thread finished, with 0 files left
Finished Thread[JobRunner$WorkThread-3,5,main]
[15:48:27.458]
Deactivated java.awt.event.WindowEvent[WINDOW_DEACTIVATED,opposite=squarebox.catdv.$1.$35[title=Master Images.cdv,database=Database[title=Master Images.cdv,numclips=10998]@b03bd5],oldState=0,newState=0] on frame4
[15:49:04.693]
Performing action: ViewErrorLog at Sep 30, 2013 15:49:04
[15:49:05.129]
Deactivated java.awt.event.WindowEvent[WINDOW_DEACTIVATED,opposite=squarebox.$0.$32[frame11,526,387,1000x584,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,title=CatDV Error Log,resizable,normal,defaultCloseOperation=HIDE_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,0,22,1000x562,invalid,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthBorder@36e96d,flags=16777673,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true],oldState=0,newState=0] on frame10

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 30, 2013 at 11:21:43 pm

Coupla things.

You have CatDV Pro, no server. All your assets are in one catalog, or at least 11,000 or so of them are. This is not a best practice.

I have never seen this in the history of my time working with CatDV. However, I have seen hundreds of cases where someone did something wrong and tried to cover it up.

Immediately save the CatDV logs for both machines, all of them.

Now, if what you are saying is that the files were renamed to the value in the Notes field, here's what whoever who did this, did.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!

1. Select all assets. (command-A)

2. Select (comman-b) bulk edit.

3. Set this window to "NAME" and "Overwrite" and then "copy from another field" - "Notes" and then hit OK.

And voila, in a couple of key strokes you've renamed (read: wrecked) all of your files.

Either (1) this happened, or (2) your office is haunted or (3) a system that others find safe and reliable for years somehow accidentally did an operation that requires several manual steps to accomplish.

I vote for option 1. Although 2 would be pretty cool too. 3 is a fairy tale.

Pull the logs and look for that bulk edit command and restore from your backup. (You have a backup right?) If not, ask that Tim guy. I hear he knows about that kind of stuff. ;)

Sorry this happened, data loss/damage is not fun.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Mindy Trim
on Oct 1, 2013 at 4:13:39 pm

I would not be surprised in the least if my office was haunted. Really!

Our assets are broken down by season. Example; season 1 images catalogue and a separate season 1 footage catalogue. We do have a lot of images per season which is why we need CatDV.

We are aware of the Bulk edit/rename option, but the problem is this happened upon opening the project on its own. The night before everything was there since we had to search for a few clips. When we opened Cat the next day it rewrote everything including the backup file. We immediately pulled error logs and did not touch anything. Also all the user setups in the notes section are gone. Now the catalogue collapses every time we try to open it.

I'd really like to say this is human error, but considering the backup files rewrote themselves along with the main makes absolutely no sense. Trust me we had backups and they are now corrupted as well.

A new error has also popped up saying 1 thumbnail is missing and needs to be rebuilt.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Oct 1, 2013 at 4:53:03 pm

Clarification, are you saying the metadata (the field data) renamed, or the actual data, the image files on the drives renamed?

I'd reach out to support immediately as this is a huge issue and potentially affects any user of CatDV standalone. (Server versions have their data in the db, not catalog (.cdv files.)

I'd also assume that you should upgrade to the latest release after this is resolved.

Email your logs to support@squarebox.com and I'm sure they'll find the issue.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 1, 2013 at 4:57:34 pm

Mindy - I feel bad stating the obvious, but if your "backup" can be corrupted by day to day operations, it's not a backup.

A real backup should be copied to an alternate medium that cannot be easily modified (I strongly prefer tape, in case you haven't picked that up). Since the catalogs aren't huge (relatively speaking), it is a very good idea to at least copy them to a USB flash drive and keep that USB fob in a different location.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Mindy Trim
on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:35:08 pm

Just so others are aware this is a strange glitch. It hit the one file catastrophically but did not effect the others. We have been working hard to make it happen again, but not even intentional batch editing has duplicated what had happened.

CatDV has been wonderful about answering our questions and attempting to trouble shoot, but in this case user error does not fully explain what had happened to our catalogue. Our Data manager doesn't even know how to batch change and goes clip to clip for a good reason. Again the CatDV costumer service has still been fantastic.

CatDV is still a wonderful program and I highly recommend to anyone. We have discovered that the xml files are stable and the backup (on another drive) cdv files we are unable to open anymore so we have to abandon the catalogue and start new using xml files.

xml is great!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]