FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Catdv along side Neo Finder.

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Pacey
Using Catdv along side Neo Finder.
on Sep 26, 2013 at 11:13:55 am

Hello helpful peoples,

I have recently taken up the task of sorting and archiving about 4 years of rushes and sound.

I got Catdv thinking it was the all in program to do it from, but unfortunately I have since learnt it is not the package I expected for cataloging. I believe it will be helpful once I understand more fuller.

The cataloging software that I am finding the best I think is Neo Finder.

I am just wondering weather these to programs can work together, eg catdv reading neo finder files.

Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

All the best.

Todd.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Using Catdv along side Neo Finder.
on Sep 26, 2013 at 3:54:54 pm

We've had a project sitting for a couple of years in our queue just waiting for a client. The import xslt for this isn't trivial as neofinder didn't output XML. ( If that changed that's even better )

This can be done with some text cleanup and an xslt.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Sep 30, 2013 at 10:15:04 pm

I got Catdv thinking it was the all in program to do it from, but unfortunately I have since learnt it is not the package I expected for cataloging. I believe it will be helpful once I understand more fuller.

Would you mind sharing what about CatDV didn't meet your needs? I ask because there are many faces to CatDV and it may simply be that you were overwhelmed by the CatDV default interface. One of the things that a CatDV consultant should do is to "trim the fat" so to speak to make sure that the interface elements offer the functionality that the client expects.

As others will admit, there are a lot of features in CatDV.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 30, 2013 at 11:03:31 pm

Tim, I can speak to part of this, although I'd love to hear from the original poster as well.

You cannot "drag" a drive into CatDV. If you do, things may be processed incorrectly (how could it process every type of file correctly, without direction for instance?) And it will most certainly crash from running out of memory. This is documented here dozens of times to the point where we specifically note when training a new user. CatDV's advanced media analysis keeps it from handling a full drive scan, much like you'd never drag a whole volume into FCP or Media Composer.

Contrast this with NeoFinder that is a "drive cataloging" program aimed only at indexing the contents of a drive. It's fast, but not as data rich, however, if you just want to know what's on a drive, it's perfect for that.

I believe the user is wanting to do what my client wanted, just dump the contents of a drive into CatDV for sorting later. While not a best practice, I can see why they'd want to do this.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 1, 2013 at 12:03:36 am

Ah - that makes sense. I've always worked hard with clients to insure that they were using a reasonable filesystem layout for backup operations (don't backup what isn't needed), so the idea of just dropping a drive is a bit alien to me.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Todd Pacey
on Oct 1, 2013 at 9:35:36 am

Hello,

I have dived more into the program and it is an awesome piece of software. Me and an editor have been working out new ingest systems with time coding and converting. And the proxy files are very helpful. Its gonna make our lives a whole lot easier.

For the unexperienced CATDV user the programme can seem really overwhelming but once you know what you need from it, it becomes clearer.

We are not working from a network so we can't utilise CATDV to its true potential. But we are getting what we need now.

Todd.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]