FORUMS: list search recent posts

Groups/permissions: Restriction to specific files is possible??

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carla Vidal
Groups/permissions: Restriction to specific files is possible??
on Sep 26, 2013 at 8:32:09 am

Hi all!

Thanks for the support in here. I am very happy with the CatDV performance but now I feel like digging more into it and use the most of it.

We have the media archive, with both video and photos.

But now I would like to have two groups of users, one with full browse access to all files and the other more basic user just for specific pictures (some of them should be restricted for permission issues).

I know it is possible to have different groups and permissions, but I saw it only affects to edit purposes, but is it possible to restrict some files from database?? Or should I copy the database into a new panel and delete manually what I do not want them to access??

Thank you in advance, :)

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Groups/permissions: Restriction to specific files is possible??
on Sep 26, 2013 at 4:11:25 pm

Carla, as discussed yesterday, the permissions go:

Group/Catalog/Clips

If something is in a catalog, you must grant access to that entire catalog. To do certain workflows in CatDV, it generally involves the automated move of clips through a set of catalogs. (This is one of the first "automations" I even had to do.) There is no ACL or clip by clip permission to view or block on a clip by clip basis.

That said, a lot of MAM systems lack this as it's hard to administer. (Think of the work to tag each and every clip with permissions!) There are several ways to implement a limited access workflow and this is where training, planning and assistance really kicks in. You have grown beyond dragging a few clips into CatDV.

The forum here is great but a workflow like this generally involves several brainstorming sessions, drawings, lists and other documentation and an intimate knowledge of your storage, server and security environment/protocols. We'll try, but that's hard to do in a public forum.

CatDV, along with your storage and server permissions and a bit of automation can produce some intricate workflows.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Carla Vidal
on Sep 27, 2013 at 7:12:02 am

Ok I see. I kind of expected it to be the case.. but since we do log manually, I thought you could prevent of seing all clips except for those that match X field, for instance.
I'll try to do some research and see how to set the new demanded workflow.

Thank you for the fast reply!

Return to posts index

Carla Vidal
on Sep 27, 2013 at 8:49:04 am

Sorry, I was re-reading my message and maybe I put it wrong. I dig out some information and I'm going for the two Production groups solution. I think it will work. Thanks again for the forum!

Regards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]