FORUMS: list search recent posts

Publish Worker watch action to two different groups?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Warner
Publish Worker watch action to two different groups?
on Sep 24, 2013 at 4:31:40 pm

I have a watch action that moves a client approval video to its permanent folder and publishes to a catalog in Group A. Is it possible to publish to Group B at the same time? If so, how?

Lee

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Publish Worker watch action to two different groups?
on Sep 25, 2013 at 3:20:36 pm

For the record, that would create 2 copies of the asset and metadata on those 2 copies would be tracked separately.

This is an important tenant of working with catdv as an asset manager, one clip, one catalog, one group.

To leave that structure can make for issues with your metadata unless you have a way to track that those 2 assets are the same and to publish or sync the metadata between them. You can of course have another action that copies a clip into another catalog and group (note that both are necessary.) this is something that we cover extensively in our training sessions, with drawings and examples and it's still hard for new users/admins to grasp.

Those are the facts, as I see them any one who has more info, please jump in. Now, the opinion.

This would take a large amount of scripting and tracking and really gets away from the basic idea of the mam, keeping the metadata attached to the master asset.

This is only my opinion and experience, and you may have another way to use this in a workflow, of course.

Preserving this idea requires that you be very crafty as you do review and approval inside the traditional CatDV group structure. Our clients tend to use outside solutions for R&A. In the end, which one is the "real" clip now? As long as you keep that straight, you're ok.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Sep 25, 2013 at 3:54:07 pm

Thanks Bryson,

Currently I have a watch action that does the move and publishes to Group A. I also have a watch action that monitors the folder where those files are moved to and creates a catalog for Group B. Group B has most of the default permissions disabled. I was looking for a more eloquent way of doing this hence the thought to publish to two groups at once with one watch action.

Lee

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 25, 2013 at 6:31:33 pm

As a general rule, we split our Worker Actions as much as we can. This seems strange to new users but when you're troubleshooting it's far easier to see what's "breaking" when each action only does one or two things.

Worker Node can say "failed to publish" for instance, and that could be either catalog having permissions issues. Worker won't way which.

If catalog A and catalog B publish with separate actions, then you know where the problem lies immediately. This was taught to me years ago by Sir Kevin Duggan and it's a smart way to work although your mileage may vary.

So you're making a copy of these clips for viewing? They are then deleted after the R&A process is done and no metadata is retained? Just so I'm clear about the workflow.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Sep 27, 2013 at 5:25:41 pm

Dougal at Squarebox provided this tip that I modified slightly. He gave persmission to post it on the Cow.

I'm afraid its not possible to do this as one worker action but we can do it in actions by adding a user flag as part of your first watch action and then using a server query for this flag to trigger a second action to copy the clip to another catalog.

So first we need to create a trigger by creating a new user field called "publish to second group". Make it a grouping and in the picklist editor you can give it some values. I've given it two values; publish to group A and publish to group B

In your existing worker action you need to set the user filed as part of the publish action. Set trigger in watch action where at the time of publishing the catlog we set the publish to second group picklist value to publish to group A.

We now need a second watch action which is a server query to look for this trigger and then execute a copy to a new catalog. Copy to catalog at the same time we need to change the trigger flag from publish to group A to either blank or some informational message to remove the trigger to stop this form being picked up by the second watch item again.

Depending on how many groups you have and how often you need to do this you could have multiple secondary watch actions with different triggers to copy into many catalog / group combinations.

I hope this helps you to achieve your aims.

thank you Dougal

Lee

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 or BM Decklink • Caldigit HDPro2 8tb Raid • Avid Artist Transport • MC6, FCP7, PremierePro, Resolve.

• Living my life one frame at a time •

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]