FORUMS: list search recent posts

Catdv with a mixed PCs and Macs environment - server connection

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carla Vidal
Catdv with a mixed PCs and Macs environment - server connection
on Sep 9, 2013 at 7:32:56 am

Hi there,

We have just migrated editor computers to Mac Os, whereas the rest of production is working in PCs.

The problem is that, after many attempts, we don't get to successfully connect our Macs to the server in a permanent way. I mean, before starting CatDV, we can connect our Macs to the server 'name' without any problem, but when starting the CatDV, it only understands the connection through IP address, which might obviously change and also, it disconnects after a while.

Does anyone can help me out? We are more experienced in PCs and don't understand why is that Mac can connect itself to the server standingalone but can't make it through server hostname when connecting from CatDV.

Many thanks in advance! :)

C.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Catdv with a mixed PCs and Macs environment - server connection
on Sep 9, 2013 at 3:34:37 pm

If you're PC's are changing IP addresses, a lot of normal networking feature will glitch. I would recommend that you set up your CatDV Server system with a fixed / static IP address. That should solve the disconnects that you are running into.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 9, 2013 at 4:52:07 pm

Ask your IT staff to check your internal DNS. If it's not set up, then perhaps set up an in-house DNS.

Or, as Tim says, a static IP solves the issue as well.

This has nothing to do with CatDV.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Carla Vidal
on Sep 10, 2013 at 7:28:45 am

Ok thanks. I thought it might be because as I told you Macs can connect to the server through the machine (recognise it and work in it as a new device) but then it couldn't connect and log when starting cat dv. That's why.

I apologise for the confusion, I'm still learning :)

Regards and thank you both

C.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Sep 10, 2013 at 3:16:47 pm

Networking is a black art at the best of times. And, each process that you run has its own mechanisms for dealing with the network topology in your environment. When you deal with a non-continuous connection protocol such as used by CatDV (it only connects when it needs to communicate), if a parameter changes between connections, further connections will fail.

This is why we recommend that ANY system that hosts a server process be assigned a static IP address rather than DHCP.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Carla Vidal
on Sep 11, 2013 at 7:33:30 am

I see. The weirdest thing is that the IP was static though. It seems it is now working without disconnection, although the "Server abort.." something message is still appearing and it logs off sometime. I just have to ignore it and it seems to work ok.

The IT person said CatDV and Final Cut could not work at the same time since MacOS says that this device/repository (server) can only be used by one software. Anyway, I'll keep it testing... thanks folks

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Sep 11, 2013 at 4:19:46 pm

Your IT person said what???

I run FCP X, Motion 5, Compressor 4, CatDV Desktop Pro, CatDV Server, DAX BA, and BRU Server all on the same Mac Mini. It sounds more likely that your IT person is simply trying to lesson their load because they're not familiar with the Mac ecosystem.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 11, 2013 at 4:59:22 pm

Tim's right. Get a second opinion.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Matt Burns
on Sep 13, 2013 at 10:05:40 pm

Hi Tim,

this is a little off topic but was wondering if, CatDV and the bru server work can work with each other. Our producer want to be able to see whats in the LTO with out having to do major digging, he want us to be able to tag media before we LTO and then be able to find if later if need to see a shot. is that possible do with CatDV and the bru software?

Thanks Matt

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Sep 13, 2013 at 10:11:07 pm

Hi Matt,

Yes, the combination of CatDV Server, DAX Broadcast Archive, and BRU Server make a very powerful combination of online, near line, and offline archival that is controlled completely within the CatDV desktop interface.

Plus, you can configure your BRU Server environment so that it provides tape storage for CatDV while still supporting your normal system backup requirements.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Matt Burns
on Sep 13, 2013 at 10:50:58 pm

Thanks Tim for the fast reply all good things to know.

as far as the DAX goes do we need that as part of the CatDV stuff or is that separate? And how does it work with the CatDV?

we have been using the Bru Server for the last few months so if we start doing archives through the CatDV will we need to re-archive everything or will it just work?

Thanks for your help Tim
any info is very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Sep 16, 2013 at 4:06:48 pm

The DAX component is required to enable CatDV to interface directly with BRU Server. Once DAX and BRU Server are configured, you manage everything from within your CatDV Pro Desktop with a simple mouse click.

So long as you segregate your normal backups and your CatDV / DAX archival by configuring different destinations in your library, they will never interfere with each other. For a standalone drive, just be careful with your tapes :) .

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 14, 2013 at 12:24:40 am

TIm, could you post more info on the Dax system?

It's been a long time since I heard anything out of them and was wondering if it was still available through the US distribution. The Atempo plugin is only available from the UK these days and Dax is also absent from the US price list.

Thank you,

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Sep 16, 2013 at 4:03:52 pm

Hi Bryson,

We actually resell the DAX Broadcast Archive solution as part of our ArGest DAM solutions. The solutions are complete to the end user, so everything the user needs is included - Disk, tape, BRU Server, DAX BA, and CatDV all as a complete bundle. The only thing missing (for now) is the Mac or Linux server to act as the physical server.

Our most popular package is a combination of a 24 slot LTO-6 library, 32TB RAID, and 2 Sonnet xMac Mini server units - one as the CatDV / DAX / BRU Server server and the second as the CatDV Worker Node server. Of course, you could add more Mac Mini's as Worker Node servers if the requirements exist and the arrays can be expanded out to a total of 16, 32TB units. We can also include 10GbT networking.

Both the end users and our resellers appreciate the single point of contact for ordering and for support.

While I love chatting about our solutions here, it's probably better to discuss it in more detail directly.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 16, 2013 at 4:59:04 pm

Excellent news Tim, that's where the source and the support should be, with the archive system.

I'll keep this in mind if people ask about BRU and CatDV.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]