FORUMS: list search recent posts

p2 and avchd ingest workflow

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carla Vidal
p2 and avchd ingest workflow
on Aug 27, 2013 at 8:51:48 am

Hi all,

We want to use Cat DV as an ingest tool but don’t know if it is possible without previously transcoding through FCPX or other application (CatDV is installed in PC but editors work in Mac). We use Panasonic P2 and Sony with AVCHD files.

I'd like to import as P2 CLIPS and be able to transcode/EXPORT as movie full resolution (.mov).

P2 files also fail to export or play back. Should I install Xuggle?

Many thanks for shedding light on this issue

C.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: p2 and avchd ingest workflow
on Aug 27, 2013 at 4:01:30 pm

P2 requires the MXF option and also the Calibrated codecs (calibratedsoftware.com)

Works like a charm with those turned on and not at all without.

AVCHD is s tough one. CatDV can generally span the clips correctly but no codecs exist on the mac to play it in Quicktime so I can't offer a good automated workflow, you need some manual steps.

Personally I hate that AVCHD was ever invented. It is the enemy of automation and the creator of manual busy work.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Carla Vidal
on Aug 28, 2013 at 9:37:01 am

Ok thanks, I'm finally ingesting through Final Cut Pro X, and using the unwrapped .movs to transfer them to the HiRes folder and then import to CatDV.

I haven't installed Calibrated Codecs yet but I'll do it. Is it possible also not only to play back but export like .movs in native format??

Thanks Bryan!

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Aug 28, 2013 at 4:51:53 pm

We use the Worker Node for ingest. Our integrator designed a AVCHD ingest watchfolder that uses Xuggle and a few other tricks to bring in footage and create proxies. One of our freelancers uses the Sony FS700 which works like a charm with CatDV. I've attached a few screen caps of the watchfolder config for reference.

The third image is a separate watchfolder that looks for any instances of where the field "Create AVCHD Proxy" = True which then automates the proxy creation using utility called Xuggle. http://www.xuggle.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Aug 28, 2013 at 6:40:19 pm

Lee, does this handle clip spanning correctly? I noticed the import is Xuggle media which if I'm correct might not handle the spanning the same way as say Premiere does.

(In long AVC clips we can have 15 media clips in one actual "take".) Can you let us know if you're doing spanned clips or just running the media through the Worker as is?

I'm actually impressed that CatDV Pro client seems to do the clip spanning correctly (even Adobe has issues with that on some cameras) but we've been reluctant to put Worker Nodes on the transcoding just due to the time it takes to transcode.

If it's over 2X real time people get a little antsy when you send an hour long clip. I guess I need to do some time tests on one of our boxes.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Aug 28, 2013 at 10:28:05 pm

Bryson,

Proxy creation time is definitely a problem. We are transcoding with the Worker out of budgetary necessity at this point. We weren't aware going into the initial purchase that crunching proxies with Worker would be a bottleneck. Luckily our volume is such that I can process camera cards overnight.
Xuggle proxies for AVCHD are not speedy but with our current overnight processing, it's not a huge hit.
We have one producer station that has all of the Calibrated codecs on it so if someone is in a hurry they can look at camera originals. Otherwise all the producer desktop stations have to wait for proxies.

Lee

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Aug 28, 2013 at 6:14:58 pm

Missed this one, yes, Calibrated allows you to treat mxf exactly like .mov.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]