FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing legacy data into CatDV

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Beth Rankin
importing legacy data into CatDV
on Aug 22, 2013 at 7:16:14 pm

I am trying to import some legacy photo assets into catDV i have all of their metadata in an excel sheet. I tried to save as tab seperated text and then import into catDV import As>Tab Seperated Text... It will import all of the metadata but not the actual photo. Any hints on what to do? attached are screen shots of my excel sheet and what it looks like after being imported into catDV.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: importing legacy data into CatDV
on Aug 23, 2013 at 1:18:43 am

They took down the old .co.uk site. They had an article there on doing this.

We still use this method for some smaller database dumps. Works like a charm. Here's the list of columns from that article. Not all are necessary but these are what can be imported.

IN OUT IN 2 OUT 2 NAME BIN TYPE NOTES TAPE MEDIA FILENAME VIDEO AUDIO GOOD QT TRACKS METADATA RECORD DATE IMPORTER MARK USER 1 USER 2 USER 3 USER 4 etc...

Rolf or Lee you might wanna pull the old FAQ/Support page and post the excel import format in the new support site. It was faq145.html. (Ok, I have surpassed my usual geekiness with that bit of trivia.) Maybe post us a link here?

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Beth Rankin
on Aug 23, 2013 at 1:34:57 pm

Do you know if the columns need to be matched in order?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Aug 23, 2013 at 4:09:10 pm

We've always done it that way, (once we sorted the template we just let it roll.) Obviously the order is easy to swap in Excel.

One tip, it's ok to put "sacrificial" data in fields as placeholders and delete it later. (CatDV makes that easy.)

People always ask us why our data import pricing is set up like it is. (We charge one price for the first 5,000 assets and then less for additional blocks of 5,000.) The answer is this:

The first one is really hard, the next 4,999 go much quicker.

/\
/ \
/ \_______
/ \

Speaking of that, remember to break your assets up into manageable catalog sizes (see the 300 threads on this topic on this forum.) A 20,000 record set needs to be broken down for import. We use 2500 assets as a grouping for our online/linked media imports. Offline media imports can be far larger.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Beth Rankin
on Aug 23, 2013 at 4:18:15 pm

Thanks so much for all your help so far!
We are only trying to import about 2000 assets from File Maker Pro. I have them all in the excel sheet right now, and CatDV will read everything (all the meta data) except still wont pull the actual photo in? Any idea what the kink may be?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:52:32 pm

You have to deliver the path for each file to CatDV. I believe this is done in "media filename". You might test that.

(I'll need to check with one of our tech's to confirm, it's been a couple of years since they made me do it.)

So, this takes us to the automation part. If you have the path to the file in each record, then you just do that in excel. If that path is not part of your metadata, you need to automate the linking of the images either by a file name lookup (if they are unique) or by some other mechanism. This requires a Worker Node and often some custom scripting work (for instance if you don't have a unique name to look up you may have to go by file path or any number of other methods to link things up.)

We often send all the images through a workflow that moves them, links them up and then puts them back in a new or the original file structure. Seems like a weird path but often in the Worker Node, or any automation, the path to the end is not a straight line.

In the end, for 2,000 records you may have to just manually relink them but if this is an on-going issue, your CatDV Dealer can set you up with a workflow to do this repeatedly.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Sep 10, 2013 at 4:12:41 pm

There is a new one Bryson it is a little buried though!
http://www.squarebox.com/tutorial-migration-to-catdv/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]