FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV vs. Interplay

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Pipho
CatDV vs. Interplay
on Aug 20, 2013 at 1:29:06 pm

Need some feedback, we are looking at purchasing either the Avid ISIS 5000/Interplay or Facilis/CatDv. We are an 80% Avid Media Composer facility with a few FCP7 and CS5 and CS6. We have run our pros and cons and Avid won, however we have a very complex IT department who likes the Facilis/CatDv solution due its openess and not so much so with Avid because its more of a closed environment.

I would like to hear who has run/tested both and what feedback there is concerning each. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV vs. Interplay
on Aug 20, 2013 at 3:11:15 pm

Short answer: I think that the video team should pick the video solution.

Truthfully, this is a little too big of a decision to address on a forum IMHO. You're talking about a 6 figure project that impacts your entire company. I'd feel way out of line to offer advice based on a one line question.

Find the best Avid and CatDV reseller you can and discuss with them. They will lead you to a solution.

Just my .02.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Steve Pipho
on Aug 20, 2013 at 6:37:50 pm

Yeah I know it's a big question to ask, just wanted to find out what are some of the experiences that people have using Avid Media Composer and CatDV. I know that I can't go wrong with the all Avid solution. I'm just not sold on the CatDV part.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ray Kowalchuk
on Sep 4, 2013 at 11:49:50 pm

Our five-Avid post facility for one television program has been using CatDV for a few years now. I saw CatDV, a product with a long history serving Final Cut Pro users, demonstrate an Avid workflow at NAB 2011. CatDV worked the way it always has, managing MOV media, or MXF media with the CatDV MXF option and Calibrated {Q} MXF codec loaded. Footage browsing is largely an off-Avid process, so it was a viable tool for producers that would ultimately identify their shot selections into a script or paper edit to bring to an Avid edit session. What was different was the "last step" of exporting logged clips from CatDV catalogs into Avid bins. This was accomplished with the MME widget which allowed the FCP XML export of CatDV to be converted to an Avid AAF. Now Avid editors could have the same clip names in their bins that the producers were seeing in their CatDV catalogs. mme.tv

To compare with Avid Interplay you are going to want to have a look at CatDV Pegasus, which has the MME widget incorporated to create a legitimate Avid compatible product. More than just saving a few steps of processing, Pegasus provides a "round trip" approach to asset management -- clips that end up being logged, or corrected, or subclipped in Avid can be exported back to CatDV catalogs and MAM database. You can also export an AAF of a sequence or binful of clips to Pegasus to be archived; this is handy if you need to archive and retrieve Avid projects but still need your MAM to know where the media has gone after it disappears from your online storage.

Now, your workflow is your own -- each one as unique as a snowflake, so it is important to look at what all the different parts of Interplay can do for you. It's been designed, tested and tried in the crucible of big production houses that demand a no nonsense PAM, MAM, project management, archive and collaboration environment. Serious media workflow products, like storageDNA, develop integration for Interplay first (though they also have come to support CatDV). If CatDV can cover all of your needs, you're probably gonna like the price. But download the demo and test your workflow -- CatDV has nowhere near the track record and range of use that Interplay has covered with their own NLE.

I'm testing Pegasus right now, seeing what has been improved over the MME workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]