FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export to Episode

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Compton
Export to Episode
on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:56:32 pm

Hi,

I'm still a bit of a CatDV Noob & am in the process of setting up our first system.
I need to create what I believe to be a simple process in the worker node to copy a file & paste it into another watch folder on our network to begin an encoding process in Episode Engine.
I've created an 'Encoding' field with hierarchy picklists of our encoding standards in Episode, yet when setting up a server query in the worker the 'Encoding' user field is not available to query. Also through this process I can see that the file can be converted then copied/moved, but can this be actioned without the conversion? as I only want to clone the file to another location on a separate server.

Any help appreciated ;)

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Export to Episode
on Aug 20, 2013 at 3:29:28 pm

Couple of thoughts.

1 - You can do the "Conversion" step without any conversion. "Copy file after conversion" still works without a conversion.

2 - The field isn't selectable most likely because in the preferences, you have to allow more than 3 fields, (the default.)

See image below:

NOTE: In order to change the number of USER fields in the prefs, you must remove your Field Set from the text box to the left.

3 - Copying a file is a slow way to start a transcode unless the file storage isn't mountable to the Episode system. Sending the job through the command line or XML API is probably better, if you can.

If you're just doing a few files, this isn't an issue (make sure you clean up your dupe'd files after!) But if you're doing a lot of media, this may become a pinch point in your workflow.

Hope this sorts you.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Matt Compton
on Aug 27, 2013 at 8:31:59 am

Hi Bryson,

Thanks so much for this, its really helped me to get our initial workflow sorted with the basic processes, & this will allow me to show Squarebox how we intend to work when it comes to our official installation.

A quick question of of the back of the Copy function, would there be any issues to look out for when copying files to FTP?
We need a method of sending proxy files to 3Play Media for subtitling via ftp & i was thinking of using Transmit to mount the ftp as a volume to copy into.

Any thoughts?

Matt

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Aug 27, 2013 at 3:59:41 pm

We use curl to ftp (and other types of transfers and communications) but you can mount and copy too.

Note that if you mount and copy, a WAN connection is a lot flakier so you need good error checking or someone watching things.

Also, due to the nature of the Worker, (it must run as the logged in user and can't run in the background as a daemon) having a web server mounted on a computer in your facility might be less secure. (People can drop the wrong file to that remote location easily.) Some IT folks won't like that.

Glad that helps.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:12:52 am

We use CatDV to feed our Episode cluster. I don't know how large your source files are but if there in the >5GB range consider doing a reference movie conversion straight to the Episode watch folder. It keeps all the media in place and gets you the encoded file faster.

John

Return to posts index

Matt Compton
on Aug 27, 2013 at 8:37:07 am

Hi John,

This is pretty interesting, we used to use reference files from FCP when encoding with Compressor, but haven't used them since migrating to Engine for our encoding.
How would you go about producing a reference from the master file in the CatDV catalogue? I recall that in FCP you would just make the file non 'Self Contained' but I don't see how this can be actioned from the workers QT export settings?

Thanks,

Matt

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Sep 2, 2013 at 5:21:35 pm

[Matt Compton] " I don't see how this can be actioned from the workers QT export settings?"

There's a Reference Movie preset in Conversions/Movie Conversions..Edit..Movie Format. You'll need to add a Movie Conversion preset.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]