FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sidecar files

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
Sidecar files
on Aug 12, 2013 at 8:23:51 pm

I can't seem to attach metadata from a CatDV generated xml sidecar file to a matching named QT file. I checked the sidecar xml option in the Import prefs. This metadata is CatDV metadata and not additional user created fields. The fields I want to bring over from the sidecar.xml are "Name" and "Tape". Oddly selecting the xml in the catalog does not reveal the metadata. Below is the CatDV generated xml text.

I tried deleting everything but NAME and TAPE but no difference.

Anybody have sidecar xml working for QT media?

Thanks
John

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes'?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="http://www.squarebox.co.uk/catdv.css"?>
<!-- Created by CatDV Pro 10.0.5 on Aug 12, 2013 15:33:14 -->

Renamed NFLcom
0:00:00'00
0:00:31'01
0:00:31'01
Side Car Test
Movie
untitled
Online movie
Aug 2, 2013 12:59:51
1376335598 John Heagy [---] Import movie
F769957E
Apple ProRes 422 (1920x1080 23.98fps)
Uncompressed (48.0 kHz, 8 chans, 16 bit)
0:00:00'00
QuickTime (Movie)
QT Movie (Apple ProRes 422)
/Users/heagy/Desktop/Side Car Test/2013_NFLcom_Fantasy_Shoulders_5141_30_H.mov
soun/lpcm (1491746/31.08s) vide/apcn 1920x1080 (745/31.07s)
AllFrames = 0 QT Version = 7.7.1 (2343) 0x7718000 (Mac OS X, 10.7.5, 11G63) SelectionOnly = 0 TimeScale = 600 WindowLocation = (22,0)
AtomContainer = ftyp qt mdat FileBegins = 00 00 00 20 66 74 79 70 71 74 20 20 20 05 03 00 ... FileDescription = QuickTime Movie FileExtension = MOV FileHash = 81013FF47297B7E7 MacCreator = ???? MacType = MooV UnixFileMode = -rwx------@ UnixGroup = editorial UnixUser = heagy

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Sidecar files
on Aug 13, 2013 at 3:41:20 am

John,

2 thoughts.

1 - In 10.0.5 I'm not getting a sidecar to work either. Might wanna report that to Squarebox. (Note that we mostly do this in the Worker instead of the app.)

2 - I'm fairly sure you don't want to rename a file via XML sidecar. NAME will be imported from the XML but the path will be the same meaning file.mov imported with a name like file-2.mov from the xml will still be named file.mov in the filesytem but will show file-2.mov in CatDV.

You'd might want to pass it to the db as a user field and then have the Worker Node rename the asset and update the path. (It'll go offline if the name changes in place.)

TAPE should import from the XML once we sort the bug or setting (whichever this turns out to be.)

Hope this helps.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Aug 13, 2013 at 1:58:29 pm

Hi Bryson,

[bryson jones] "n 10.0.5 I'm not getting a sidecar to work either"

Thanks for checking.

[bryson jones] "I'm fairly sure you don't want to rename a file via XML sidecar"

The rename in CatDV would be used to generate a source ref movie for an Episode transcode into a new file.

I'll try Worker and will notify Squarebox.

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
on Aug 13, 2013 at 2:35:50 pm

hi Guy's

I can confirm that sidecar import works in CatDV pro 10.0.5 I've just tested on windows and Mac you need to enable the "sidecar files - look for metadata in XML Files" in the import section of the preferences.

the XML file should have the same file name as your clip eg my_movie.mov with my_movie.xml

you can check to see if the XML has imported correctly by looking at the import notes field for the clip in CatDV you should see "loaded metadata from "myxmlfile".xml" confirming that the metadata has been brought in from the sidecar file

If you are unable to get this to work please can you raise a support ticket about the problem with support@squarebox.com including log files ( start catdv do the import and then save the log files as per these instructions http://www.squarebox.com/exporting-logs-to-support/ )

thank you Dougal

Improvise Adapt and Overcome

but remember: out of good , quick and cheap

you can only pick TWO ...

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Aug 13, 2013 at 4:22:28 pm

It may be a prefs thing, if you note the thread, John and I both have that setting enabled and I can do the import in 9.0.6.

It's been reported to Squarebox and they are checking it. For now, John you can probably use 9.0.6.

Dougal, did you upgrade from 9.0.6 or install fresh at v10? That may be it.

Also, John, you can send a transcode job to Episode without a ref movie, using the CLI. (That also lets you select the destination and use variables.)

One note, there's a small syntax problem between Worker and Episode that must be corrected with some outside scripting. I'm sure a sharp tech can get this rolling on their own or dealers can offer this as a service/scripting item if people don't wanna deal with it.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Aug 13, 2013 at 4:54:28 pm

[bryson jones] "It's been reported to Squarebox and they are checking it."

Thanks for that!

[bryson jones] "Also, John, you can send a transcode job to Episode without a ref movie, using the CLI."

True, but we use CatDV to assign Tape/Reel and, in the case of GoPros and the like, TC. The Episode CLI does not support either. Yes you can enter a TC number but you can't split and stitch it like you can a ref movie.

John

Return to posts index

Toni Popovic
on Sep 5, 2013 at 12:58:06 pm

So it is possible to set the timecode from an XML sidecar file? I have tried to do this multiple times with .MOV or .MP4 videos that have a timecode of 0:00:00.00 to begin with. I edited an exported CatDV XML file by changing the in and out fields 10 seconds forward:

<IN>0:00:10.00</IN>
<OUT>0:01:49.03</OUT>
<DURATION>0:01:39.03</DURATION>

After saving and importing the same video file again it has the same 0:00:00:00 timecode as opposed to 0:00:10.00.

I use 9.0.6 in Windows. Is this a bug or is it supposed to be like that?

Best,
Toni Popovic

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:58:07 am

Toni, sorry, I missed this post.

You can't change the TC embedded in a clip with XML to my knowledge.

. To do that you need to write into the wrapper. CatDV can do that in the client or you can do it with an external tool (some of which can be scripted with the Worker I'm sure.)

Most of the high end transcoding systems can take a start TC in a sidecar XML and embed that into the wrapper but those are generally pretty expensive.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Toni Popovic
on Sep 6, 2013 at 6:29:00 am

Thanks for the quick reply Bryson.

This is what I thought as well. We've been doing it externally in ffmpeg so far like you suggested. Doing it manually in CatDV is sometimes nice for quick fixes, but it's not generally an option for us.

Best,
Toni Popovic

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Aug 13, 2013 at 10:27:36 pm

Hi Bryson,

I confirmed it works in CatDV 9.06 but I don't see it working in Worker 5.05. It does pick up the file but does not pass the xml metadata to the ref movie. I'm doing this as a watch folder action with "Look for metadata in XML files" and "Enable Content Analysis" checked but all for naut.

You said you've seen it work in Worker... which version?

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Aug 13, 2013 at 4:22:39 pm

Hi Dougal,

Hmm... that's interesting. What was the metadata you passed? Was it CatDV metadata or custom? Can you paste the contents of the xml here?

I do have the xml pref selected.

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Aug 13, 2013 at 6:09:48 pm

Ah, our old friend split and stitch.

You football guys, always looking for the fastest way to the end zone. ;)

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Aug 13, 2013 at 8:52:23 pm

Yeah 2 1/2 hrs vs 10min in one case so we really take advantage of it when possible.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Aug 14, 2013 at 8:17:21 pm

Ok, this should be fixed in CatDV 10.0.6 (and the next worker, when that's released). The problem is that CatDV XML batch files aren't (or weren't) intended to be directly used as sidecar files. In a recent update we blocked their use to prevent accidental processing of the wrong kind of file so it's a coincidence it worked before. We've changed it now so they work properly though.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Aug 14, 2013 at 10:03:21 pm

Thanks Rolf!

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:50:25 pm

I have side car files working in 10.0.6 but have a workflow question when it comes to the order of things. I don't want the xml cataloged so I set .xml files be excluded.

Here's what I'm seeing in CatDV 10.0.6...

If I catalog a folder containing both media and xml, CatDV will assign the proper metadata while excluding the xml.

If I catalog a folder with just the xml then nothing appears in the catalog as expected. If I then add a media file in the folder and do a "Scan For New Files"... nothing appears in the catalog. If I reverse the order the media file is cataloged first without the xml metadata as expected, but adding the xml and doing a "Scan For New Files" does not transfer the metadata to the media file.

My ultimate goal is to have a Worker job export ref files with filename and Tape from the xml. Based on the above behavior in CatDV I don't see a way of getting files and xml metadata on the same page considering the xml and media files will not always appear in the watched folder at the same instant or even minute/hour.

Is there a way to require a sidecar file before an action is triggered? Presumably this would be done in the "Conditions" tab where one could check a box that requires a matching xml in order to trigger the action.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 6, 2013 at 5:09:02 am

John,

The only way we've been able to do this is to "hold" the first file and then through an external script do a lookup based on name in the "holding" folder once the other file arrives. (media or xml arrival triggers the "lookup".) That, or create a record via XML and then have the media file attach itself by landing in the correct path and then move on with the actions once the file is linked. But again, that requires that you write the path into the XML with outside scripting.

Both options require a little work outside Worker Node.

We did this sort of thing with a client that wanted to archive high res versions of assets from a remote office, that they sent into their Approval-Q hosted at their home office, during the day. So they wouldn't swamp their internet pipe, we sent the proxy and xml immediately and held the high res at the remote location. A copy of the XML was staged and "waiting" for the high res files. At 8pm, after the day shift was gone, the high res went over via Aspera and met the XML on the other side. We ingested the high res, matching its path with the proxy that arrived earlier and then sent it into the Archive system through another Worker action. (SDNA in that case.)

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Sep 8, 2013 at 10:42:24 am

Thanks for all that Bryson!

Would you agree that a "Wait for matching xml" in the Conditions tab in Worker would go a long way in making sidecar files easier to use?

John

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 9, 2013 at 4:49:58 pm

It's a good idea, but since the script is such a simple "if then" and the market is so tiny, I'm not sure I'd push too hard. (We've got our own "wish-list" for the next build.)

If this is stopping your work, you should be able to get a script written to do this fairly easily.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:38:33 pm

Anyone have any information on sidecar files not importing in 10.0.7?

I've have look for metadata in side care files turned on and here is a copy of the sidecar file. It is just trying to write into one user field.

6973_alaksa4.xml.zip
(Creative cow added the 6973_ and of course the .zip)

The file name of the video is alaska-4.mov and they are both in the same directory. I've tried both dragging the video file in and selecting it from inside of catdv by right clicking and choosing Import into Catalog

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
on Jan 9, 2014 at 4:50:42 pm

hi Matt

i've tested your xml and it works fine for me

have you set up a user field 58 in preferences by default only the first 10 or so are created above that you need to manually add them in in the user columns section of the preferences

thanks dougal

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Jan 9, 2014 at 5:32:03 pm

Well it's good to know that I at least got that part working correctly. I worked out a script to take an excel file and parse each row into an xml file so I can ingest our legacy data.

I do have User 58 already created so that shouldn't be the issue. Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
on Jan 9, 2014 at 5:44:42 pm

have you got look for metadata in xml files turned on in your import preferences
see image below

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Jan 9, 2014 at 6:35:46 pm

Yup that is already turned on.

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Jan 14, 2014 at 7:34:44 pm

My xml files have been validated on another installation of CatDV so I do know it has something to do with this particular installation. Hopefully that helps someone come up with an idea.

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
on Jan 15, 2014 at 11:56:40 am

hi Matt

have you got the other import options like import non media files and recursively search sub directories etc turned on as in my screenshot in the previous post ?

cheers dougal

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Jan 16, 2014 at 5:42:54 pm

Hi Dougal,

I do have everything in your screen shot selected including the import all types of documents and recursively search options.

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Jan 16, 2014 at 5:45:29 pm

This week I tried setting up a watch folder to put both the xml and the video file and it imported them as separate assets but it did at least apply the metadata in the xml file to xml asset just not the video one.

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:40:14 pm

hi Matt

for sidecar files to work correctly CatDV expects to import the files at the same time so you need to have

mymov.mov and mymov.xml in a folder together BEFORE you can import them

you cant bring in the sidecar xml at a later date and expect catdv to populate metadata from it to an existing media asset the worker behaves i nthe same way the xml needs to be present with the media file and have the same file name before import

if this is still not working for you please can you raise a support ticket with support@squarebox.com so we can look in to this for you further

if you could summarize the steps you take with screenshots of the steps any error messages and send this to us along with the catdv logs we will take a look and see if we can help you get this working

to export logs see http://www.squarebox.com/exporting-logs-to-support/

thank you Dougal

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:04:53 pm

[Dougal Matthews] "for sidecar files to work correctly CatDV expects to import the files at the same time so you need to have "

The common way of dealing with files arriving at different times into a watch folder is a setting that watches for two matching file named files before an action is triggered. This is a feature I would welcome.

John

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:07:23 pm

hi John

i'll put this forward as a feature request for consideration for inclusion in future builds

thank you dougal

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Jan 22, 2014 at 4:07:22 pm

Hi Dougal,
I've been following everything you laid out in your post with no success until we tried changing mymov.xml to mymov.mov.xml and suddenly CatDV started picking up the xml files. Nothing I read said it needed the .mov in the xml filename. It also won't associate xml files after a file has been loaded unless unless they contain the .mov or have the media path listed.

I'll open up a ticket with you in a bit to talk more about this issue since while working it still feels a little iffy.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jan 22, 2014 at 5:41:53 pm

Matt, I've never seen this but I've been monitoring this as it develops.

Can you check that the .mov extension isn't hidden in your OS? Just a weird wild guess but something to check.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Jan 22, 2014 at 11:34:12 pm

Not sure it has been mentioned here but the xml side car file name needs to include the parent file extension.

(file.mov) side car should be named (file.mov.xml)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]