FORUMS: list search recent posts

Different Views

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vince Sanchez
Different Views
on Jun 16, 2010 at 6:00:56 pm

In my testing I've come to realize that a catalog view setting is program wide not catalog specific. In addition to the Company wide catalog we are proposing to set up our post house could also use a catalog of our music library. Not a problem, except for two things.
1. I need to setup different user fields for the two catalogs and since I can't seem to hide them in the log notes window that window could get cluttered up and confusing.
2. I can set up a column view for each catalog, nice, but it doesn't seem to stick with the catalog.
Any way around this? Any plans to add this functionality? Does it bother anyone else? Not any kind of deal breaker, but adds a level of complexity and potential confusion that seems unnecessary. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
Vince Sanchez
Intel Quad Mac 2.66
AJA LHe
HD link
OSX 10.4.11
FCP Studio 2

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
Re: Different Views
on Jun 17, 2010 at 3:11:55 pm

HI Vince
I believe that you are testing the standalone version of CATDV and yes for this product the position is exactly as you describe. However our Server versions are specifically tailored to give you the functionality that you want.

Kevin Duggan
CatDv

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Different Views
on Jun 17, 2010 at 3:23:23 pm

If I may add...

The server stores the views/layouts and loads them as part of the login process. This allows you to show or hide fields and even whole details panels from specific groups. (it asks if you'd like to "load the settings" for the group you are logging into.

The catalog only stores the metadata, which is actually good, because if it stored the layout, you'd be overwriting someone's layout whenever you sent them a catalog; annoying at best, disastrous for untrained users.

This was why we were saying that Standalone is best for small setups where you can manage the user layouts manually and also why I spoke up about Standalone not being the entire picture of CatDV. Those "missing features" are in the Server so that it can manage the users, views and access.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]