FORUMS: list search recent posts

Restoring from Cache-A

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Warner
Restoring from Cache-A
on Jul 26, 2013 at 10:17:44 pm

I'm testing the restore function of CatDV Pro. All of my catalogs have been backed up to LTO tapes using the Archive function in CatDV. 4 tapes so far. I moved an older media file offline and told CatDV to restore that file. It asked me to put another tape in the Cache-A and I got this message from Cache-A interface upon insertion.

"A Cache-A tape with data has been inserted into drive 0 and there is information on the VTAPE (CatDVArchive002).

Click on either Eject to eject the tape without changing the VTAPE, Use Tape to clear the VTAPE and start working with this tape, or Copy VTAPE to initialize the tape and copy the VTAPE to it:"

I should know this but it looks like I need to dump the entire contents of the LTO tape to the Vtape Drive in order to restore the file. Is that correct? I was hoping for a direct restore from the tape.

Lee

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 or BM Decklink • Caldigit HDPro2 8tb Raid • Avid Artist Transport • MC6, FCP7, PremierePro, Resolve.

• Living my life one frame at a time •

Return to posts index

Sebastien Bertrand
Re: Restoring from Cache-A
on Jul 29, 2013 at 12:44:44 pm

Hello Lee,

To me it sound like the is data of the vtape (hard drive in the cache-a) that has not been copied to an LTO tape yet. You have to make that data move to an empty tape before you can restore anything. Maybe you should give cache-a support a call to clarify.

Sebastien

Sebastien Bertrand
Systems Technologist
http://www.tfo.org

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Jul 30, 2013 at 9:45:59 pm

Sebastien,

I have confirmed that the files have been written to the tape from Vtape. It seems like the updated status is not being reported back to CatDV.

I am also having an issue similiar to many others that when I archive to Cache-A from CatDV the files just sit on Vtape. No automatic writes to tape. I have to eject the tape and reinsert to get a dialog box that tells me that Vtape and current tape is out of sync, but if I select sync option all will be well. I am assuming this issue is related to my restore question.

Should CatDV be restoring media directly from tape?

Lee

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Aug 6, 2013 at 7:59:09 pm

Lee,

The Cache-A VTAPE always contains whatever you last put in it unless you erase it upon Ejecting your tape (in tar format). If you did not erase, when you put in a new tape the system will always ask you what you want to do with that data.

Typically, you will always want to "Erase VTAPE" upon ejecting any tape, doing so will prevent any warning like the one you are reporting.

If you do get that warning, but don't want the leftover data in the VTAPE, just select the "Use TAPE" option.

If you get this warning and discover that you do want that data, then eject and put the data somewhere or use the System Tools > Utilities > Disconnect VTAPE feature.

Once you get past the Cache-A trying to keep you from losing data you may want, CatDV should be able to restore your content to the VTAPE and move a copy back to its source directory.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
433 Park Point Drive #285
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Aug 6, 2013 at 9:31:33 pm

Tom,

I was told last week by your tech support that several Cache-A users have the same issue that I am experiencing with the Vtape not automatically writing to tape. Unfortunately she also mentioned that your engineers have not been able to reproduce this fault.
I had blindly assumed that the Vtape was still automatically writing to tape after my Cache-A had returned from a warranty repair. If I had chosen the option to erase the Vtape after ejecting, I would have completely lost any backups of my media server created with CatDV.

Perhaps some new code needs to be written into your UI that warns the user that Vtape has new data on it that hasn't been written to tape (without the need to eject). At the same time it would be nice to see a Sync option included as well in the general UI.

Lee

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Aug 8, 2013 at 3:39:45 pm

Lee,

You are experiencing an issue that we've heard about, that has been reported in this forum - see the posts at http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/278/2569 - a workaround is in that thread.

We have not in fact been able to reproduce this particular situation in our labs (I've tried myself) and thus it would be nearly impossible to fix. If you have steps that can reliably make this happen please email me or Cache-A support off forum.

CatDV does in fact know if the files went to tape - so checking your archive status for the last file you sent to Cache-A would be a good thing to do before clearing the VTAPE. As we note in our user manuals, I suggest users never blindly delete content unless they've checked that the archive did in fact happen and verified that the Transfer Summary completed with no errors.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
433 Park Point Drive #285
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]