Moving files across volumes without losing metadata

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Ostrowski
Moving files across volumes without losing metadata
on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:48:04 pm

Hi there,

Using CatDV 9.0 Server here.

We're currently cataloging old archived footage into CatDV and I'm running into a few issues that I was hoping to get some pointers on.

I'm tasked with taking clips that are almost totally disorganized in no particular file or folder structure and renaming these clips' filenames to a standard naming convention we've implemented. Once they're renamed, I move them to a different volume. So basically, as an example, here is the workflow:

Volume_1/Random_folder_structure/Random_clip.mov --> Volume_2/Year/Catalog/Clip_001.mov

I clean the clips (remove duplicates or useless files) from Volume_1 by importing the entire folder structure into a temporary CatDV catalog so I can use tools like Find Similar etc.
I also like to use Bulk Edit and copy certain fields that contain useful information from Volume_1 into the notes metadata field, like the Bin or the file name, for use by the workers that are tasked to tag the rest of the metadata once the files are in Volume_2.

I run into an issue when I want to save that metadata after I rename the original file names to our standard naming convention. I cannot use the Move Media Files option because it does not work across volumes and updating media location for thousands of files is not an option.

So, in a nutshell, I want to:
1) tag certain metadata for Clip_random.mov while on Volume_1
2) rename the actual filename on the volume to Clip_001.mov while still on Volume_1
3) move it to Volume_2 and keep all metadata

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Moving files across volumes without losing metadata
on Jul 18, 2013 at 1:41:56 am

Do you have a server and worker node or just CatDV Pro standalone?

If you have a Worker Node, then there are all sorts of options. For this we'll assume you don't.

First, if possible, I'd rename and move the file before tagging. Order of operations can make all the difference in a DAM workflow.

If you have pro only, there are several ways:

Tag, rename, copy and then manually delete the old file. (I myself wouldn't delete any til the whole project was cleaned up then do it drive by drive as I knew I was done with that media.) Scratch that, I'd never delete a file because drives are cheap. I'd store them for a few weeks or months after it was all clean and then maybe delete.

Export an XML side car (this seems weird but it's a way to go.) CatDV will pick up the associated metadata from the XML when you import the file into the new catalog.

I'm sure there are other ways but these should start you there and I'm pretty "thought out" after a day of work. ;)

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Mike Ostrowski
on Jul 18, 2013 at 12:11:50 pm

You're correct in assuming that we don't have worker node, unless it automatically comes with Server (which we have) and the IT guy never deployed it.

Thanks for the tips, but each of the ways you suggested causes the clips to go offline and lose their proper media path in the catalog as soon as I rename them on the volume. Is there no way to rename files on the volume through CatDV Pro so it keeps the proper media path? I know I can use increment following pattern in Bulk Edit, but that only works for the Clip "Name" which isn't the actual filename on the volume.

I was thinking of going the XML export route, but again, I run into the same issue. When I export the XML with the metadata, CatDV associates a media path with the clips in the XML. If I rename those files on the volume, the XML import won't work. Unless I'm missing something?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jul 18, 2013 at 4:01:06 pm

Wait, are you not using CatDV to rename these files?

In the NAME (NM1) field, select and change the name, CatDV will ask you if you want to rename the media file and will do that and of course, update the path etc to match.

If you're doing anything outside of the CatDV interface you will (of course) make media offline, just like any editing system or other media management software.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on Jul 18, 2013 at 5:33:49 pm

We do this quite a bit. I find the best approach is to copy your material at the OS level to the new volume so it's in the correct folder structure that you desire.. Then import the media from that new volume and rename and tag.

I would also suggest that you create a field for 'original file name'. Copy the old filename here before you change it. It's great to have a record of it so that when you open that project you thought you would never need again you can find that media with the old referenced file name.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://neoverite.com

Return to posts index

Mike Ostrowski
on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:44:30 pm

Thanks again for all the pointers.

What I end up doing is the following:

1. On Volume 1, tag all of the clips with relevant information gathered from the original filename or folder structure within a temporary, locally saved catalog.

2. Using bulk edit and increment following pattern, rename all of the clips to the standard naming convention and choose to rename the files at the OS level as well.

3. At the OS level, copy all of the newly renamed files to Volume 2.

4. Create a catalog on the CatDV Server and import all the clips that are now on Volume 2. None of the metadata is saved, but no worries!

5. Open the temporary locally saved catalog, sort the clips by name in alphabetical order.

6. Select All and perform a copy command (Ctrl C) from within the local catalog

7. Open the Server catalog and sort all clips by name in alphabetical order.

8. Select All and use Edit --> Paste Metadata...

All done!

Since the clips are in the same order on both catalogs, the metadata will be pasted onto the correct clips, no matter if they're in a different volume location.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]