FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip number limitations in Catalog

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robb Harriss
Clip number limitations in Catalog
on Jul 12, 2013 at 4:35:53 pm

So the transition "back" to Avid continues it's interesting path. . .
OK, so the basic limitation for the number of clips in a catalog is around 5,000. Understood that it's not a hard and fast rule, but it help efficiency to have less, sometimes substantially less than 5,000 clips in a catalog.
So here I am loading up Media Composer (6.5) and the Avid Media File directory (1) is filling up nicely. Right now it has 3800 files in it. They're separated DNx MXF files so there are usually three files for each clip: one video, and two audio— makes sense. After each capture I let CatDV (10.4) scan for new files. But when I open the catalog for this one drive/directory CatDV asks if I want to load the more than 5,000 clips. Hmmm. And then once open all 1410 clips are displayed. Wait a minute. I got lost along the way here? In excess of 5,000 clips for 3800 files which translates to 1400 clips? So what's happening here? There are no odd files like graphics or documents. And the catalog is of the single Avid Media File Directory. I have another 1200 files to go before Avid creates another media file directory.
The point is I don't want to make the CatDV catalog, and future ones using Media Composer, to become unwieldy. Do I need to hand make smaller Avid directories? I'm not sure how that will help with the odd escalation from 3,800 files to 5,000 clips. Ideas?

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Sebastien Bertrand
Re: Clip number limitations in Catalog
on Jul 12, 2013 at 6:09:40 pm

Hello Robb,

If you have the MXF option, catdv creates metaclips that contains all your separate files. So if you say each clip is made of 3 files, you get 3800 clips for each file + 3800/3 for each metaclip container. Total: 5066 clips.

Cheers,

Sebastien Bertrand
Systems Technologist
http://www.tfo.org

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jul 13, 2013 at 1:46:54 am

My .02, wait for Pegasus but Sebastien is right about MXF.

In my opinion, scanning an Avid MediaFiles folder is a recipe for heartache on both sides.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Jul 13, 2013 at 4:57:06 pm

Ok, I can see the math. And yes, I'm using the MXF option on a single seat of 10.4 connected to a workgroup server.
But if I don't scan the Avid Media drive how am I supposed to get clips into CatDV? I've thought from the beginning that having to load all the files would be a pain, i.e. too many files at once. But my process is to scan the drive, make proxies, and then move the clips into new and separate catalogs. The resultant catalogs have only a tiny fraction the number of clips, counting them any way you want: as absolute number or MXF composite clips. It all works fine, right now. The only issue so far is the warning about displaying more than 5000 clips.
I've been in the middle of a large number of major projects so I haven't had time to fool around with Pegasus, yet. But the tide has turned and review of the new version is on the table. I'm hoping that it will be an opportunity for CatDV to capture some Avid users, the way Avid and Adobe capitalized on the demise of FCP 7.
Note, again, that I have only one copy of CatDV using the MXF option. No one else attached to my workgroup server needs to touch original footage. They all work off proxies doing research on shots.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jul 15, 2013 at 4:53:07 pm

In Pegasus you send over an AAF from Media Composer.

That way you get clips with media attached instead of the mess you'll see from a scan. (Orphans, audio only, renders, all of it come in from a scan.)

My personal opinion of a MAM/DAM workflow is that anytime you are "scanning" something, you'll likely spend as much time cleaning up as getting good clips.

"Ingest" or checking something in to the system methodically is way better in the long run, IMHO.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Jul 15, 2013 at 8:16:41 pm

Ah, I get it. I certainly wouldn't argue with that. It's not so much an issue right now because I'm mostly just capturing and building catalogs. But I've been looking into the future and seeing all sorts of logistical issues. I have a few issues with Pegasus. It all comes down to Avid's less than user-friendly environment. On the other hand the database and capacity for a large number of clips in MC is very attractive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]