FORUMS: list search recent posts

Denying permissions

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Warner
Denying permissions
on Jun 27, 2013 at 8:19:36 pm

I would like to deny users access to the media folder that CatDV moves elements to but at the same time allow the users access to that media through CatDV. When I restrict permissions for certain users to the folder it puts the media into offline mode in CatDV for those users. Any hints as to how I can do this effectively? O/S is Windows 2008 Server.

Return to posts index

Sebastien Bertrand
Re: Denying permissions
on Jun 27, 2013 at 9:31:58 pm

Hello Lee,

You can't do that with the high-rez material. Your only option is to set the windows permissions as read-only for those users. They need file level access to the files to see them. Catdv doesn't "serve" the files, it only tells quicktime what the path of the file is. The media has to be accessible to the operating system for the user that's logged on.

It is however possible to do this with the proxy media,you can tell catdv to serve the proxies to the clients via http. This way the user does not even need to mount the drive where the proxies are in order to see them.

Cheers

Sebastien Bertrand
Systems Technologist
http://www.tfo.org

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 28, 2013 at 7:30:37 pm

Here's a drawing from our training slides that might help clarify the data relationships.

You'll note the direct path from the CatDV Pro client to the hires media. The server does not manage that connection.

Compare this to the Web Client which has access to only metadata and proxy served "through" the CatDV Server so that that server will have control of the permissions for proxy and metadata and shares no hires media.

Maybe this can make this relationship more clear.

Here's a link to the hires version of that slide.

CatDV-System-Dataflow

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Jun 28, 2013 at 7:44:22 pm

Bryson,

Thanks for the diagram. I was looking more for how to adjust permissions at the O/S level that would affect the users and not cause CatDV worker any grief. I think Sebastien's reply has me going down the right path.

Lee

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Jun 28, 2013 at 7:40:34 pm

Sebastien,

Thanks for the tech support. Just like old times. I hope your new job is keeping your brain cells active.

Your read-only suggestion is what I ended up doing. I assigned permissions for read only access to the producers but what I really want to do is read-only for everyone except the production editors. At what level can I assign restricted permissions without affecting the media server and worker functions? Can I do it at "Everyone" and then add the editors with "Full Access"?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 28, 2013 at 8:07:34 pm

Lee, no prob, I knew where you were headed but that comes up over and over on here so I thought I'd throw that in the thread to help sort it.

We tend to run the Worker Nodes fairly open and stage any deletions or moves as "copy and delete later" so that they move to a temp folder to be deleted at a later date in case of user errors. I'm always a bit wary of automations with "root" access.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Sebastien Bertrand
on Jun 28, 2013 at 8:28:12 pm

The worker only needs the permissions for the user is is logged in as. So if the worker is running in a windows session logged in as "admin" then only admin needs read-write to the media folders. You should get your IT admin to help you with the permissions, as it can get confusing at first.

Cheers,

Sebastien Bertrand
Systems Technologist
http://www.tfo.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]