FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Metadata in CatDV

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Rathjen
FCPX Metadata in CatDV
on Jun 3, 2013 at 2:06:48 am

Ok, so if this has been covered in another thread, please point me in the right direction, cause I haven't found it yet.

I'm trying to find out how CatDV handles FCPX metadata on import, specifically keywords and custom metadata.

I'm having trouble finding information because FCPX threads seem to get outdated so quickly with all of the updates Apple has given us.

I currently run a FCSvr system, and our editors want to migrate to FCPX and Premiere. CatDV seems like one of the best potential choices to integrate different NLEs right now, but while I wait for SquareBox to write me back with trial licenses, I'd like to know if setting up a trial system will even be worth my time.

It comes down to whether or not we can ingest and tag footage in FCPX and have all the metadata come into CatDV, or any other MAM for that matter.

We recently ran a trial of ingesting and tagging footage in FCPX and we loved it, so we think it would be a good choice for ingest. Maybe you folks have different ideas?

-Aaron

Return to posts index

John Heagy
Re: FCPX Metadata in CatDV
on Jun 4, 2013 at 2:07:47 am

This brings up a catch 22 with FCPX... how to best use a MAM like CatDV when FCPX Events essentially is a built in MAM.

Ingest normally occurs in a MAM so ingesting into FCPX AND CatDV does bring up the question of synchronizing the two. The obvious solution is to only ingest in CatDV and then send to FCPX. But then what about all the workflow efficiencies during the edit that would be lost by not using FCPX Events fully.

A facilities' MAM (CatDV) should be the final word on metadata... so what about metadata added in FCPX. Apple is quick to recommend an external MAM but fails to address the above issue when consistent metadata is required in a shared workflow.

Now FCPX and CatDV both support QT's extended metadata model i.e. com.arri.ArriReel in the case of Arri ProRes files which could be used to "bake in" any metadata added in FCPX... if FCPX actually did that, which it doesn't.

Sigh...

John

Return to posts index

Aaron Rathjen
on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:55:39 am

THANK YOU.

I was beginning to suspect this sort of contradiction going on between what FCPX is capable of for a single user, and how to manage those capabilities for multiple users in a MAM.

In a way, I'm a bit baffled still at the concept of Events. On the one hand they make sense, you group your footage around a location and time, and it seems brilliant—you have your multiple cameras with their unique tags, you can put together your multicam interviews, your b-roll, it's all there in one place. I love it. But then when you introduce the concept of shared storage and MAMs, it begins to fall apart. It's the fact that FCPX is managing the metadata in kind of a group basis (e.g. CurrentVersion.fcpevent holds all the data for the clips in the event) but what happens when you don't want everything in your event all the time?? Our editors don't need ALL of the footage from each event. Best case scenario, we ingest things to events, we tag it, we upload it to our shared storage with metadata intact, and then we hunt through it (with all the search power of our metadata) and bring back down only the clips we need for our particular project.

This seems like an obvious way of wanting to do things, am I missing something?

-Aaron

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jun 4, 2013 at 6:00:36 pm

[Aaron Rathjen] "I was beginning to suspect this sort of contradiction going on between what FCPX is capable of for a single user, and how to manage those capabilities for multiple users in a MAM."

Yeah I'm way beyond suspicion. I tried communicating this to Apple but they don't get it. Seems they think coping is the same as sharing even though the instant one makes a change to the event the copy is out of sync.

For our shared workflow, events are simply a complication with no real benefit compared to having media directly associated to the project like FCP7. We would have to manage the project file and the event file where missing either renders the project useless. Not to mention the pointless redirection of every media file thru aliases.

Apple really made it hard for large shared workflows to embrace FCPX.

John

Return to posts index

Jan Fosserud
on Jun 6, 2013 at 8:54:08 am

Seems like Squarebox recently added this page to their Tutorial-page http://www.squarebox.com/exchanging-metadata-with-fcp-x/

Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]