FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV Worker Node: process not ready error.

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edson Cudjoe
CatDV Worker Node: process not ready error.
on May 29, 2013 at 3:23:48 pm

I have been trialling CatDV Worker Node locally on two machines. the first being a Powermac G5 which has version 3 installed and a 12-core Mac pro which has version 5.

I have been testing how it performs filename changes and I have been doing this locally on both machines. While the process has worked fine on the G5, it has had the same recurring error on the MacPro.

The three lights in the processing area appear green at the beginning.
Once the file watcher has located the file within the watch folder and added it to the task queue, the worker light stays green with the message: "waiting for helper process".

After a few moments the green light turns red and displays the message: "helper process not ready"
The worker will then de-select itself and its light will stay red.
The File watcher will also no longer see the file in the watch folder despite it still being there.

Throughout all of this the lights for both the file watcher and server monitor remain green.

The only significant change I have done recently was introduce an administrator password to the server. I noticed that this did affect the G5 because once the CatDV server needed a password, the worker node installed on the G5 had the same problem despite me saving the login details in the configurations tab.
After reverting back to an automatic login, the G5 worked fine again.

On the Mac Pro, the worker node has not been responding positively regardless of whether I use a server password or not and I have run out of ideas as to what could be causing this.

TL;DR: Apart from server login details, what could be the possible causes for the CatDV worker to have the error of "Helper process not ready"?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV Worker Node: process not ready error.
on May 29, 2013 at 4:38:12 pm

I think you may have found a bug in the authentication of v3. I'd be surprised if, with all of the development in the last year on Worker, if V3 was still fully functional with the new version of Server.

I'm sure Squarebox will weigh in, but here's a thought for you based on some work we did.

If you are going to run that G5 24/7 just to do Worker, then you could pay for a new mini quickly just on power consumption alone. G5's were power hogs and use about 9 times the electricity of a mini.

G5 24/7 for a year = $600

Mini 24/7 for a year = $85

Just something to think about when upgrading.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Edson Cudjoe
on May 31, 2013 at 2:19:42 pm

You raise a fair point about power consumption.

But apart from when I introduced an administrator password, the G5 worked flawlessly where the Mac Pro hasn't.

Since my last post, we have installed a dedicated server for CatDV.

The next thing I did was disconnect the G5 from the server completely in the hope that there would not be an interference while I test the process on the Mac Pro.

I changed the Worker node task to just simply finding the file in the watch folder and moving it to another folder. I used one 300MB .mov file, one 10KB .jpg file and one 4KB .txt file.

The CatDV Worker Node had been installed on the Mac Pro to perform this task locally. All of the files and folders were set up on the Mac Pro desktop to make the process as simple as possible.

The software did not move any of the files whether I loaded them into the watch folder as a group or collectively.

I received the same error message as my original post each time.

If I haven't mentioned before I am using version 6.8 of the server and version 5.0.2 of the Worker Node.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 31, 2013 at 4:17:27 pm

This sounds like a support issue then. Who is your reseller? They should be assisting in the demo process and can get you in touch with JB&A if you are in the US.

Can we get word from the support crew on here as to whether Power PC is still supported and also maybe someone could take a look at his Mac Pro and see if the workflow is set up correctly?

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]