FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buffalo NAS or Lacie NAS Pro with CatDV?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Buffalo NAS or Lacie NAS Pro with CatDV?
on May 27, 2013 at 8:15:08 pm

We want to allow clients to view and even download (or make log lists that we can assemble and ship out) from a local network storage device. Do the Buffalo products work for this with the CatDV software? Any configurations you want to share, assuming you share footage with clients outside your local network?

I assume this is possible....and with a Buffalo system, we can set up which directories are viewable by whom then assign the CatDV software to catalog them. In the end it would be great if we could see all directories locally, then set up specific directories for different clients.

Thoughts?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Buffalo NAS or Lacie NAS Pro with CatDV?
on May 28, 2013 at 8:05:16 pm

IMHO (and as they say, everyone has one) NAS systems are pretty slow. Especially if you're moving files.

We tend to either recommend faster NAS systems or if you're going to do scripting or automation on a box, use a server that can run a copy of Worker Node so that you are direct attached to the server storage.

That makes for a much higher transfer speed (SCSI, Fiber or even SATA as opposed to a network connection.) This part is not opinion, it's simply fact that direct attached storage is faster than a gigabit network connection in almost every case.

Here'e the "opinion" part. My personal beef with NAS boxes is that if they break, you have to deal with the whole thing. If you have a storage subsystem attached to a server you can address one problem without messing with the other. (A raid can be temporarily attached to another server/computer to access the data. Alternately, you can replace the raid controller or chassis if you have storage problems as well. This is nothing more than my opinion and you may have great luck and reliability with NAS boxes but I'd rather get a mac or PC fixed than send my data all off to Buffalo or whoever. (Let's not even mention the legal/security concerns of shipping drives with data on them to strangers.)

If speed is not an issue and you're not automating a lot of file moves, then you can use whatever you like, but with a Mac Mini or tiny PC server costing less than $1000, it's hard to justify a NAS even on price. And since we have to have some sort of server doing CatDV so there's a perfect place to connect and share a raid.

There are always exceptions (security, redundancy, scale) but in a small deployment your CatDV server box makes a great alternative to a NAS and I'm sure your CatDV dealer could sell you any of a thousand storage solutions.

Hope this helps and of course these are generalizations and free advice. You may have a completely different workflow that would be far better served by a NAS.

Good luck out there,

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 28, 2013 at 8:47:35 pm

Hmm....the Buffalo NAS I was thinking of was one like this with dual GigEthernet ports and both Esata and USB3 ports.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889196-REG/Buffalo_ts5800d2408_24_TB_...

It would live here, has server networking built in and I would access it locally via esata. The client would hook into it over the internet.

My bandwidth is the biggest issue and the problem of redundancy as you pointed out. Something like this skew your perspective at all?

I have had a Buffalo Terastation for years and it has been a solid workhorse for having our own virtual cloud. Not as robust as true server software, but I am having CatDV do most of the heavy lifting..the NAS is just the Buffalo serving up the files.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 28, 2013 at 10:42:36 pm

I can't really speak to the overall config, but if it's esata then I'm sure that's fine if you don't have a ton of files to deal move/copy.

Bandwidth is the main issue everywhere. We have a near hilarious/heartbreaking range of clients who have from 1Mb to the internet to 1Gb to the net and internal networks from 100Mb to 10Gb (One has 10Gb across LA!) But that has nothing to do with internal storage speeds, most anything should be able to beat "the internet".

That said, you can host files pretty well for a few users on 5-10Mb (up) speed. Below that and you need patient clients.

The good news? CatDV doesn't care if you spend $100 or $100,000 on storage.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 29, 2013 at 2:18:31 pm

That's kind of what I thought. CatDV is storage agnostic. It is only cataloging the clips. I assume the folder structure is important. Any limits with folder names? I have a client that uses very long folder names as their convention. Any issues there?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 29, 2013 at 4:42:55 pm

Other than annoyance and weird characters, no. But we have found that people with file-names_that_work-like.this.in-their-houses tend to have silly characters too. like billy's/best"movie.mov

File and folder naming conventions are a huge thing and should be addressed before any MAM is installed as they can impact you greatly later on. Remember, once you have a MAM, there's little reason for some huge file name.

Enterprise DAM systems often strip off the user's filename totally and give you a guid like 6543345GG34.mov . Don't tell your users, they'll lose their minds knowing that a million dollar DAM does what it pleases. ;)

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]