FORUMS: list search recent posts

Single asset existing in multiple catalogs

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Goddard
Single asset existing in multiple catalogs
on May 26, 2013 at 9:13:34 am

This is a confusing one..

Trying to clarify how CatDV is dealing with this situation. If I take an asset from one catalog and copy it to another catalog I can now change a field to different values on each, publish changes to the server. Have both Catalogs side by side and each asset clearly shows different values. The strange thing is that the clipID and Filehash are identical on each asset in the different catalogs.

So the Asset can be in multiple catalogs with different field values. I would have thought this to be impossible as I was understanding that each asset (ie, each unique asset to catDV) could have only one set of values.

I imagine that this could cause all sorts of issues? Further clarification would be welcome.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Single asset existing in multiple catalogs
on May 28, 2013 at 8:09:25 pm

You've found a weird hole in things. The ClipID is generated from the file so the "guid" would be the same if imported multiple times. However, there are 2 instances of this clip in the system.

In CatDV you may only have one version of an individual clip. That is to say, you can create as many as you like, but the server treats them all differently and does not sync metadata changes. If you were to look into the SQL tables you'd see that there are other identifiers that are different. ClipID is one but it is not absolute.

Confusing, yes, but it is the nature of a system with the powerful client/server methodology of CatDV. If the system was more limited and only accessible through a browser for instance, you could block this easier.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]