FORUMS: list search recent posts

can catdv be used with Sony Vegas 9

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marcie alexander
can catdv be used with Sony Vegas 9
on Jun 11, 2010 at 11:00:03 pm

We use Sony Vegas 9 in our offices and we are looking at CATDV for logging and content management. Does anyone know if CAT DV will work with Vegas.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: can catdv be used with Sony Vegas 9
on Jun 14, 2010 at 2:54:46 pm

You've stumped me. I've actually never seen or tried this.

That said, it depends on what you mean by "work" and also by your edit format. I have clients who use CatDV with Avid workflows and they never go back to the Avid. They use CatDV for cataloging, proxy creation, search and library management and it works fine, as long as you have QT based media or can generate that with an export.

The fancy XML based import and export is all mostly for FCP workflows but there are so many other things that are done in CatDV that you may or may not be able to use it in your shop.

What kinds of uses are you proposing? If you give us your needs, maybe we can suggest some ideas for you. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

marcie alexander
on Jun 14, 2010 at 5:27:14 pm

Thank you so much for your response. We have a stock footage library and PCs in our office. We use Sony Vegas 9 for editing and digitizing. If we mark our select scenes in Vegas can we output to CAT DV for logging the clips? We are trying to find content management software that can help us put a database on our website for searching, viewing and downloading clips. We have no interest in moving to Macs. If we can continue to do our selects in Vegas it would be an easier learning curve for our staff. If over time we can do the same tasks all in CAT DV great but at the beginning it would help to be able to use it with Vegas.

I have been looking at this software for a while now but want to be sure it can do what we need before investing time and money.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jun 15, 2010 at 4:49:41 pm

Last time we looked properly at Vegas (a few years ago, admittedly) the problem was that they didn't really support any kind of practical batch file format for import or export, though there is limited support via EDLs I believe. Do let us know if that's changed and there's a Vegas batch file format that you think we should be supporting though.

By the way, you're always very welcome (in fact we encourage it to prevent misunderstandings and disappointments all round) to request a full-featured evaluation license of any of our product. That way you can perform a proper test with your media files and editing software to make sure CatDV meets your needs before making a purchase decision.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]