COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Goddard
Logging names (people)
on May 24, 2013 at 8:02:51 am

First Last
Last First
Last, First

I can't see any issues with either although I have a feeling the ',' may cause an issue somewhere further down the pipe.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Logging names (people)
on May 24, 2013 at 4:13:03 pm

I have to bring this up, if you are doing any scripting, even just in the worker, having a slash in the name will really give you fits later.

That's a great feature but be careful as you'll not be able to use a name later for moving files etc, without some escaping of characters.

I might offer that the order doesn't matter as much to me as keeping the names separate in 2 fields. You can later script putting them into one field for viewing (a simple variable publish) but having them separate so that all the "jones" files could go into a folder can be nice to have.

This type of topic is aimed more at library science and digital asset management than CatDV. Although I agree that this is perhaps more critical than setting up CatDV itself. These are the issues that lead folks to store data incorrectly and spend money cleaning it up later.

Knowing that, remember that there are tons of docs on the ISO standards and other library and data management topics on the web that address these sorts of questions. Some folks even have degrees now in asset management so remember that no matter what the application, there are standards and best practices for keeping databases but they are far from "laws".

I was blown away at the sheer amount of XML schemas there are for data interchange for example. (See the "Prism" spec for an example.) Governments and corporations have spent a lot of (our) money working these things out, although most seem sort of overblown.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on May 27, 2013 at 10:26:34 am

RE: Slashes.. Good point Bryson, another reason to avoid the hierarchy in fields.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on May 24, 2013 at 4:23:06 pm

I have not had a chance to demo Pegasus's auto suggest fields. I presume it will make it's way to the regular client eventually?

Using hierarchical based fields at the moment means that the value is actually stored as 'Stamos/Matthew' or 'Asia/China' as a 'country' field for example.

Unless I have missed something there is an issue when you want users to be able to query the country first as it will not begin to list this as the full value is Asia/China.

You can still find it but it's not as intuitive as a regular 'grouping'. Under regular grouping you will begin to type 'C' and immediately it will list all the C's.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]