FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dashes vs Underscores - Discuss!

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Goddard
Dashes vs Underscores - Discuss!
on May 22, 2013 at 10:05:05 pm

Obviously spaces are a no go. Combination of the two? I try to make filenames as 'human readable' as possible.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Dashes vs Underscores - Discuss!
on May 22, 2013 at 11:11:40 pm

I use dashes to separate similar content I use underscores to separate different content ie:

2013-05-23_jason-web-post_video-program

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on May 22, 2013 at 11:12:59 pm

Thats similar to what we are doing on several projects too.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on May 23, 2013 at 5:09:25 pm

We use dashes in folder names to automate how the content is processed. For instance a camera card is put into a folder named ProducerName-ClientName-ProjectName-CardName and then moved into a watchfolder programmed for card ingest. Scripting in the watchfolder puts the clips into a catalog named after the project name but under folders ProducerNameClientName. Reel Ident is based on the full folder name and individual fields such as Producer, Client, etc. are auto populated. Since hyphens are used for automation, I use underscores for everything else.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 23, 2013 at 10:00:20 pm

We have similar things in place. It mostly varies client to client.

We love it when we don't have to deal with spaces but it's not a hardship with most CatDV functions. Outside apps can be troublesome but with a little work you can get around them.

We tell clients that dashes and underscores are "cheaper" to do, but we've really only found one app that was impossible to program using spaces and even that is now sorted. (Episode takes some very careful escaping to pull off.)

NSA actually delivers a "bad characters" list to all of our consulting clients to avoid problems, but you'd be surprised how many strange characters are fine.

So good to see this sort of interchange on this forum. This was our dream when it was started.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]