FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV server & HTTP-server on different hosts

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toni Popovic
CatDV server & HTTP-server on different hosts
on May 22, 2013 at 12:43:31 pm

I haven't seen much talk about setting up CatDV and Tomcat on different hosts with different ip-addresses. I understood from the documentation that it is indeed possible but I have a little trouble understanding the traffic involved.

Scenario: machine A has CatDV server and MySQL (or other db) running and machine B has Tomcat7 runnning. The machines have different public ip addresses. User connects by browser to machine B's public ip address. (http://b.b.b.b:8080/catdv2). The proxy files are locally on machine B and the proxy paths match the path used during import (except for the drive letter, which changes D: -> C:).

Does this scenario require specific configuration to Tomcat to work? I mean how does Tomcat authenticate user login if the database is on machine A? Can I replicate the database to machine B so it would serve proxy files even if A goes offline?

How about the CatDV server configuration? Should the web proxy paths be mapped to local path of proxy in the HTTP-server (in this scenario D: -> C:) because I don't want to load proxy through the relatively slow public network.

I guess what I mean can be described best through this image: architecture
What is the link between CatDV data access & query library and CatDV core servlets? Can the proxy files be loaded locally by the web server even if CatDV server goes offline and there's a replicate database on the remote HTTP-server?

Sorry for the wall of text and I hope somebody understood where I am going with it.

Best,
Toni Popovic

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV server & HTTP-server on different hosts
on May 22, 2013 at 3:58:32 pm

I believe this image is simply referring to the processes and does not reflect the hardware.

I'm not aware of a configuration that supports this.

There are ways to separate the proxy of course but to my knowledge the Tomcat process must reside on the "Server" machine that is running CatDV Server.

Squarebox support, has this changed?

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

John Vaudin
on May 22, 2013 at 4:52:54 pm

You can configure the system in this way but you would need to manually configure the settings for the Web Client on the Tomcat server by creating a /usr/local/catdvServer/catdv.properties file (I'd copy it from the CatDV Server initially and then just change the database url to point to the database server) and make sure your firewall and MySQL settings are set up to allow connections from the Tomcat machine.

Doable, but not for the faint-hearted.

Return to posts index

Toni Popovic
on May 24, 2013 at 11:05:12 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I will test your suggestion John when I get the chance.

Just to be clear about the .properties path for Tomcat machine: what path for Windows environment or is it hard coded at all? If it is not hard coded how can I choose the path to use?

Best,
Toni Popovic

Return to posts index

Toni Popovic
Found it
on May 24, 2013 at 11:57:54 am

Nevermind the previous question. I forgot about the catdv webapp XML file where the path is set.

Best,
Toni Popovic

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Found it
on May 24, 2013 at 5:16:29 pm

John, how does this work with licensing? Does the main server control panel manage the access to the "web" portion of the server app?

This would be very useful to us in larger deployments.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]