FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV Catalog structure mimic the File and Folder structure

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Goddard
CatDV Catalog structure mimic the File and Folder structure
on May 16, 2013 at 10:17:27 pm

Apparently there is a way to automate the Worker to base the catalog structure on file and folder structure and vice versa.

Perhaps this is one for the JB&A guys (Nick and Matt) as I heard you mention it on one of your You Tube demos. I cannot seem to locate the variable built into the Worker that you mention. Perhaps it's the 'auto catalog name' that you refer to in the Edit Configuration preferences?

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV Catalog structure mimic the File and Folder structure
on May 21, 2013 at 8:08:51 pm

By the way, this is related to the post on field values.

Variables can be entered into a path when moving files, I'm sure that's what they are referring to.

In a recent deployment we set up a system to pick up field names and deliver the files into a folder structure based on them. Then with some outside scripting we created subfolders and dropped the video, audio and other files into those sub folders by filetype. A few other things happened too, but the base outcome was:

Editor drops files into a folder.

Items are cataloged into CatDV and user opens the catalog and tags them with metadata and saves.

Once tagged, the files are moved into the folder structure which is read only for users for security. This way the Worker is putting things away based on pre-entered values from the pull down menus so no one names things incorrectly.

Of course this depends on an established ingest workflow that has to be planned, documented and trained but the net outcome is really clear and manageable folder structures.

You can also import into CatDV and then using the worker copy into an equivalent folder structure using variables for parent and grandparent folders (among others.)

So a file ingested from:

/Volumes/media1/folderA/folderB/file.mov

Could be moved to:

/Volumes/media3/Projects/folderA/folderB/file.mov

by using variables for parent and grandparent folder in the path for the file move or copy. This is likely what Matt and Nick were talking about.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
Re: CatDV Catalog structure mimic the File and Folder structure
on May 22, 2013 at 11:57:47 pm

Pre entered values forming filenames... Essential for cat wrangling!

This is the kind of workflow I am currently working on. Using CatDV in the very first instance to handle the file import, copying files to their correct folders and renaming with the drop down fields. I am also starting with the more complex 'regular expressions'.

Here are some of the more advanced things I am trying to do in terms of creating filenames out of field values (examples just for illustration):

User Field Value: 'Video' Worker variable takes first letter and turns it to lowercase = 'v'
User Field Value: 'John Smith' Worker variable makes two words just the initials and lowercase = 'js'
User Field Value: 'Audio' Worker variable makes this = '/audio' (this being a new folder for the asset etc)

So assets are tagged in the 'import' catalog from an external drive, user hits submit (true/false) field. Worker queries and copies file to new location with folders formed from some field values and filename made up of field values shortened and set to lowercase etc.

I guess I could get around the folder structure by using different Worker tasks with preset folder paths and triggered by queries. ie Worker looks for files tagged 'Audio' and '2013' and we preset that task to copy the file to ~/Audio/2013. This would work but it's not super elegant as you would need multiple tasks to cover all the variables.

Bryson, would you say what I am trying to do is possible just through variables and expressions? ie no CL?

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]