FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import Directory...getting the same file multiple times?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Baker
Import Directory...getting the same file multiple times?
on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:08:29 pm

As I add media to my project folder in the Finder, I've been re-importing the directory in CatDV to keep the project catalog up to date. Some of my PSDs are coming in multiple times resulting in duplicate clips in my catalog.

What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Import Directory...getting the same file multiple times?
on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:26:27 pm

You're reimporting your items. Instead do:
File/Scan for New Items

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Apr 27, 2013 at 4:26:07 pm

Ingest into a MAM is a strange thing. Most, including CatDV have no support for versioning (that's where Focal Point and other solutions come in.)

In a MAM, if you import something again, it imports again. CatDV is ignoring items where the metadata matches, but if it's changed, like the modified date, it assumes that you have a new asset and brings it in again. This is not just a "catdv" thing, it's common in most DAM/MAM systems. Better safe, get it several times, than sorry, and ignore a file that you critically need.

This is why, in most workflows, we try to keep users from managing "project" or in-progress files until the edit is done. It's simply too hard to manage versioning unless you're going to rename each version (As is a general best practice.)

Scan for new items is a great option but in some cases, a change will make something "new", as most people would hope. An edited psd is a new asset/version in my book but without moving the asset as you would in a true versioning workflow, you can't have 2 assets for the versions, only 2 clips or sets of metadata.

In automated workflows we try not to watch a live folder. We try to ingest from a watch and then move into the editing storage area. Managing new assets manually is hard, it's best to ingest them into CatDV as they are brought into the directory.

Hope some of these ideas help, I imagine Robb's answer is what you're looking for but I got inspired to address this by your post as it's a common misconception about images in particular. Video doesn't really change during an edit but .psd's and projects are constantly a "new" file as we save.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Joe Valenti
on Nov 21, 2014 at 9:14:19 pm

Hello all, This is the thread I've been looking for. At Clippn we monitor a 'raw assets incoming folder' and using CatDV we accept or reject the clips. The clips have an xml sidecar with shooter metadata like city, state, country & brief description of the assets that autofill CatDV on import.

Accepted clips 'copy' to Premiere CC for editing & color correction and then re-import the clips into a finished assets catalogue in CatDV. We then 'copy the CatDV metadata' from the original asset and paste it into the new edited asset. This is getting to be very time-consuming and I have a feeling there's a better way.

Do you think it's possible to keep the original metadata as a sidecar in the Premiere export? Should we reject and accept in Prelude or Premiere instead of Cat? What would you do?

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Apr 29, 2013 at 3:33:49 pm

Preferences/import ensure that combine duplicates is checked!

Return to posts index

Brad Baker
on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:06:24 pm

All good responses...thanks for your help guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]