FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video = Black frames after Mac Software Updates?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Shookla
Video = Black frames after Mac Software Updates?
on Apr 26, 2013 at 6:56:09 pm

Hello,

I'm copying a support email I just sent out in case this has happened to similar users (on Mac OSX) of CatDV recently.

Email begins:

We are all on Mac OS X 10.7 (one computer is on 10.8). Recently there were 4 updates in Mac Software Update.

Attached is a still of the updates applied directly before this problem below occurred:

On my own computer I updated, and upon opening CatDV (this was 2 days ago if memory serves right), I can no longer view clips in the browser.

This is what I see. Just a black video frame:

The weird thing is, when I click away to another window (for example, if I click to my internet browser or a Finder window), the image then shows up and will even play -- ONLY if I'm still playing it while the focus is on another window.

In this next picture, the focus in my computer is on the open folder named, Dropbox, and the image in CatDV now appears:

As soon as I click back to CatDV, the image turns black, and does not show up during playback or scrolling through the footage.

Fast forward to today, I found out that one of our Mac computers did not have this problem. I looked at its installed Mac software updates, and they did not have the 4 in the image attached at the top installed yet (iPhoto update, Digital CAmera RAW Compatibility, Java for OS X 2013-003, and Safari). It did not also have the new "Pro Apps Codec Upgrade" that was released in the past week.

So one by one, I installed. After installing "Pro Apps Codec Upgrade" -- CatDV still worked fine.

Here's where I made a huge mistake and instead of installing the rest of the updates one-by-one, I did them all at the same time, thinking what could possibly mess up CatDV in this group of updates. These remaining updates were the 4 in the top picture attached at the top of this post.

That's when the problem then occurred. Restarting does not help at all. All videos videos play back as black frames and preview as black frames as I scroll through in CatDV (even the H264 proxies).

So, anyone else experiencing this?

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Video = Black frames after Mac Software Updates?
on Apr 26, 2013 at 7:19:34 pm

I got it too. I turned off the protected player and it started working again.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Nick Shookla
on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:54:10 pm

Great, that did it! Thanks, Robb.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Apr 27, 2013 at 4:28:35 pm

CatDV runs in Java.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say, for right now til Apple and Oracle get it all sorted that Java updates should be checked with Support to be safe. It's a rough time for Java on OS X.

Good catch Robb.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Apr 27, 2013 at 5:12:14 pm

it was a lucky guess

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:45:42 pm

Robb you are the man!-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]