CatDV Server 6.8b1 with external web server
Has anyone tried the latest CatDV Server version with an external web server? I upgraded from 6.6b11 in Windows and now I have trouble figuring out the right settings for the control panel:
I also think that something has fundamentally changed with the catdv2.war file as my Tomcat can't start it anymore. The basic Tomcat manager tells me that the websample app is running but the catdv2 app is not and I can't get it to start whatever I try. The webserver worked before I deployed the new catdv2.war. Since then, the webclient stopped answering even after numerous reboots and restarts.
If this makes any difference the control panel says next to the webserver "Unexpected end of file from server". This probably is related to the catdv2 webapp not starting at all.
Any ideas or comments?
Starting with server 6.8 the preferred method of deploying the web client is using the built in web server. You can still use an external copy of Tomcat, but you have to set it up manually.
Taking your specific questions:
1. The reason you still need to fill in the port if you are using Tomcat is so that the Control Panel can monitor the web service and check it's running OK. It doesn't affect the anything in Tomcat.
2. The catdv2.war file contains the CatDV WebClient itself, whereas the websamples.war file contains the sample web apps that you are free to use as the starting point for any custom web client you might want to create.
We no longer deploy the catdv2.war file automatically to Tomcat. The default set up assumes you use the embedded Web Server (which is just embedded Tomcat anyway). Support for using an external copy of Tomcat is really just there for backwards compatibility and also to support running the web server on another machine.
3. The Document Root typically points to web app installed as the default application (websamples by default). The Web Client url is a relative url from the where the CatDV WebClient should appear - traditionally this is /catdv2. None of these settings are relevant if you are using an external copy of Tomcat.
If you want to deploy the Web Client to Tomcat you need to copy the catdv.war file to the Tomcat webapps folder. You then need to manually expand it using jar. You then need to copy the lib folder from the CatDV Server installation directory to inside the catdv2 directory you just created. It should then work OK.
But it's far easier just to use the embedded server!
Thanks for the quick response John!
I'll try your suggestion about copying the lib folder to the catdv2 directory when I get the chance.
The reason I decided to continue using the separate web server is SSL-encryption that is not configurable in the embedded version of Tomcat.
I tested umpacking the catdv2.war manually, copying the entire lib folder from the CatDV server folder to the tomcatpath\webapps\catdv2 directory, but it did not help. The Tomcat manager still says: FAIL - Application at context path /catdv2 could not be started. Should I copy only the contents or the entire folder?
Any further ideas? There's also a lib directory in the tomcatpath. Should I copy the CatDV Server lib contents there?
Try searching the various Tomcat log files that should be produced to see if they contain any relevant messages or exceptions.
Here is some additional information from Tomcat logs:
Everything works fine with the old catdv2 directory, which I made a backup of before upgrading. As soon as I put the new webapp in place this happens. I hope this helps if it is a software bug.
Try deleting (or moving) the old contents of the catdv2 folder after copying catdv2.war into the webapps folder. Also, be aware that there's a new 6.8b3 version available at http://www.squarebox.co.uk/download/CatDVServer6.8b3.dmg and http://www.squarebox.co.uk/download/CatDVServer6.8b3.exe
Sorry - my mistake - when I said copy the lib folder into catdv2 what I actually meant to say was copy the lib folder into catdv2/WEB-INF.
Thanks John and Rolf for the help. The lib folder was in the wrong directory and everything works fine after I moved it to WEB-INF.