FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV doesn't like m2t files,what are my options?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maurice Coombs
CatDV doesn't like m2t files,what are my options?
on Apr 13, 2013 at 10:09:30 am

Currently we have Catdv and we're in the process of archiving all our footage onto LTO. The problem is that most of our footage is .m2t format from JVC and CatDV doesn't like it. It won't play any of the files so we want to flip that footage to a different codec that CatDV would like and that would be good for editing. We edit on premiere cs6. Does any body have any suggestions with what codec and can flip these files to?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV doesn't like m2t files,what are my options?
on Apr 14, 2013 at 9:30:41 pm

Just use Premiere to make an h.264 mp4 proxy and archive away. Or some people create a mezzanine file (prores?) and then edit from that.

AVCHD is a tough one in a lot of workflows.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Maurice Coombs
on Apr 15, 2013 at 11:35:41 pm

Thanks for writing back, from what Iv'e heard is that H.264 isn't a good codec to edit in so I'm leaning on flipping them to DVCPROHD for archive and any possible edits in the future. Any thoughts on using DVCPROHD?

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Apr 16, 2013 at 3:07:06 am

[Maurice Coombs] "Any thoughts on using DVCPROHD?"

m2t is an MPEG2 format so I'm gonna guess it's 1440x1080 in which case you do not want to go with DVCProHD as it's 1280x1080.

ProRes supports 1440x1080. Consider rewrapping as a standard .mpg via MPEG Streamclip or .mov via ClipWrap.

John

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Apr 17, 2013 at 9:20:17 am

H.264 isn't a great codec for editing (it's optimised for small file sizes not for ease of editing), but then nor is AVCHD .m2t (as that's basically just H.264, in an MPEG wrapper). There are three main approaches you can use when working with AVCHD:

a) Use ClipWrap to rewrap the video as a QuickTime .mov and edit with that. No loss in quality, but it's no longer an .m2t file. Perhaps archive the .m2t file somewhere just in case.

b) Keep the .m2t file and edit with that in Premiere, but create an h264/mp4 or similar proxy for logging in CatDV, playback on the web, etc. (Or use Xuggle to play the .m2t file within CatDV, but be aware that playback is quite jerky and only suitable as a low quality preview).

c) Transcode all your media to a common mezzanine format such as ProRes and use that, perhaps archiving the original .m2t files. This is particularly useful if you work with a variety of different cameras and want to work with a common format.

Return to posts index

Maurice Coombs
on Apr 18, 2013 at 5:25:08 pm

Thanks for the info everybody. I think I'm just going to convert everything to prores.

Thanks Again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]