FORUMS: list search recent posts

Add handle length to clips

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carsten Orlt
Add handle length to clips
on Jun 8, 2010 at 9:09:28 am

Is there a way to add a fixed value to the in and outs of a selection of clips?

We edited stock footage into a seq which I then exported back to CatDv via XML from Final Cut. I now prepare the list to order the final shots we need based on the in and outs selected from the media files. I could manually go and extend the in and outs to add some handle length to the selection(s) I need to order. But of course I'm wondering if there is a way to do this automatically :-)

Many thanks for any idea(s)

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Add handle length to clips
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:46:58 pm

Not to my knowledge, but I'd like to ask about how possible it is. There's actually a use for it in shortening clips as well. (too long to go into here, but Avid users could use the shortening version of what you are describing.)

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jun 9, 2010 at 10:30:42 pm

I'd like to see this added to "Bulk Edit" I could understand if lengthening was limited to edls, ales, txt, etc as one could not lengthen existing media.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jun 10, 2010 at 4:28:18 am

Yep not possible right now :-)

John - what I was trying was actually not to lengthen the media (this being impossible of course) but to adjust the In2 and out2 selection of any given clip by a fixed amount. If lets say I would like to adjust the in2 by -50 frames and the media only has 30 frames in front of the current in2 then it should just adjust to the max amount possible (same of course for out2). Maybe a warning message in such a case could be an option to tick but would not a deal breaker if it does it without further notice.

Bryson - even better if the underlying functionality could help solve other cases too. Might get a chance to get implemented in the future :-)

Cheers guys

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 10, 2010 at 3:36:13 pm

Exactly, John, lengthening the media, of course, is not possible, lol. Although I'd love to have it for those times the camera wasn't running. ;)

However, there's a situation in certain editing systems where they set up their own "handles" that are not true to the actual media length, so, to match their length when importing into CatDV, you need to shorten the CatDV clips to match what the editing system is reading.

Yes, this seems insane that they would read the media duration "wrong" but it seems that they do it to avoid effect and transition problems... or maybe it's just sloppy code. ;)

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jun 15, 2010 at 4:26:23 pm

Ok, I can see there's a need for a more general tool to apply timecode offsets, not just to the whole clip (Apple Timecode Offset will apply the same offset to in, out, in2, out2, event markers, and to the media start/end) but to specific field(s). We'll investigate including that in a future version.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]