FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unix User field

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Johnson
Unix User field
on Mar 29, 2013 at 5:59:34 pm

I've been using the Unix user field to notify our helpdesk who has made changes that need to be looked at.
However, for some reason this field is only showing some of the users' last names and not firstname.lastname like everybody else.

Does anybody know where this field is pulling from or what login credentials it might be reading?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Unix User field
on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:45:08 pm

It's directly from the CatDV db in SQL so it's generally not user accessible.

It is normally the logged in user account of the machine that is accessing the CatDV Server so if their account name is incorrect it will show that here too. In some cases we see the CatDV username so I'm not sure how this is handled. (I'm betting it has to do with the fact that we're always logged in as "Administrator" to CatDV.)

In the case of server actions it can be the system user that runs the action such as "root@console".

I'm not sure how supported this is since it's all below the surface so to speak.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Apr 13, 2013 at 8:14:45 pm

You mean the file metadata field? That's set to the Unix userid that owns the file. Unix has a both a short user id and a full name. User id is the important one and the one that is unique.

Return to posts index

Shane Johnson
on Apr 16, 2013 at 7:16:08 pm

Correct, that is the Field I'm asking about. Why would some users use the firstname.lastname format and others just use their last name? Where does it draw that user id from?

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Apr 16, 2013 at 10:23:31 pm

It's displaying the unix user id, as returned by an "ls -l" command. Previously the Mac Users & Groups system preferences pane used to show the user id as well as the full name, now it only shows the full name, so I don't know where you'd find the short user id these days I'm afraid.

Return to posts index

Shane Johnson
on Jun 27, 2014 at 3:59:30 pm

I found the answer to this question (finally).

The UnixUser ID field is found on the user's Mac. It is related to their Mac user account.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]