Cat DV - Avid - Try out..

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nigel gourley
Cat DV - Avid - Try out..
on Mar 24, 2013 at 2:23:55 pm

Just trying to get my head around this.

Avid MC/Unity/XDCAM source files/xdcam export of clips

We want to breakdown 30 min source files into several clips and then add a logo on the end of each clip. We need to have a log of each clip, where it came from and the timecodes used and also some keywords. The finished edited clips need to be named so ABCD_1 ABCD_2 etc etc where ABCD is the original name. We have thousands. We need to export XDCAM file again. Idea was to use proxies in CAT DV

Option 1) Create subclips in CATDV, export ALE, relink in avid and then add end logo. Problem is manually having to create and name the sequences in avid and also log doesn't completely reflect content.For this to work new sequences need to be the same name as the subclips in catDV then copy and paste.

Option 2) Create sequence in CATDV and relink in avid for file export. Problem is there is no automatic sequence naming in CATDV like there is with subclips. Also I can't see how to export a log of each sequence. I need more than an EDL so source timecodes but also some words about the clip. The HTML log looks great for clips and subclips but not so good for sequences.

Did I miss some features that would help or have I understood the options.. Are there other choices?

Also having a clip and then subclipping, is there a way just to show the subclips relating to a masterclip automatically without showing anything else. So that would be the default view, a msterclip with it's sub clips underneath. With all the masterclips in a bin?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

nigel gourley
Re: Cat DV - Avid - Try out..
on Mar 24, 2013 at 4:11:16 pm

I can see I can look at the clip list for a Sequence but can I export and modify this? I can't see how?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 25, 2013 at 3:39:30 pm

The workflow you are proposing has a lot of Avid steps in it, which can limit the ability to automate things.

The sequence (clip list) can be exported as an FCP XML which will get you the clips if you transform it.

I think this is something that you might want to go over from more of a "destination first" description. If you have to use Avid, that's one thing but if this is just a process to automate the creation of clips, that's a whole other things and you might be able to do this with other tools.

Also, remember that we are 2 weeks out from NAB. All of you out there proposing advanced workflows should remember that things often are announced at major trade shows.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Apr 6, 2013 at 3:29:04 pm

Without having time to look at your workflow in detail now (en route to NAB) there are a couple of CatDV features that migh help:
- right click on a sequence in the tree navigator and you can view the source clips in a sequence, you should then be able to do an HTML print of the view
- some sort of bulk edit to rename the sequences might help
- if you have a catalog containing lots of master clips (different files) and subclips from those master clips, use Automatic Grouping > All Fields > Source Media or Import Source, to see a list of master clips and click on one to see all the clips that relate to that file

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]