FORUMS: list search recent posts

right path?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Scioneaux
right path?
on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:05:21 pm

hi all...so my current setup is a single FCP station, with local storage....connected to a network with multiple PC's...After looking through some demos, and reading some - my plan is to buy CATDVPro for my edit system and 2-3 CATDV licenses for workstations on the network to review & mark previews via a shared volume - from what I see they don't need much more than that. Will CATDV Pro & CATDV work together?

I'm going to walk before running....the enterprise setup from what I've read here is to be considered in the near future, but I'd like to prove it to all concerned before the investment.

(Bob Z., Dennis, et al...long time no talk..been away from lists/forums for a while but hope all is well)

Lee Scioneaux
Baton Rouge, LA

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: right path?
on Jun 4, 2010 at 9:13:31 pm

CatDV Standard and Professional Edition share the same basic catalog format but there are features in the professional edition that are missing in the standard edition, such as event markers, the ability to define more than 3 user-defined fields, sequence editing, MXF metaclips etc. that mean you could lose information if you mix your versions.

In general catalogs are upwardly compatible (from standard to professional to workgroup to enterprise editions, and also from CatDV 7 to CatDV 8 etc.) but not the other way round. It may work in certain circumstances, but isn't something that's tested or recommended.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 5, 2010 at 1:01:53 pm

Lee,
you may be confused here. CAT DV Pro is what you need to work with FCP media. The cheaper version will not work for you. CAT DV Pro is $340 for the single license. Please understand that this is not a networked program. IF you buy multiple copies of CAT DV Pro, and run them on a network, you will not be able to share the catalogs (asset management catalogs) that you create between the seperate computers, unless you manually drag each users catalogs to every computer. This is what the more expensive Workgroup version of CAT DV is all about. Many people want to spend zero money to get this to work - I fully understand this, and a single copy of CAT DV Pro does exactly what you expect. But don't expect the other users to be able to instantly access these catalogs on their PC's unless you manually move the catalogs (like with a USB key) onto these PC's (and of course, running a licensed copy of CAT DV Pro).

I am confused as to your application. Most people are running muliple FCP workstations, or multiple AVID workstations. What are the PC's being used for - just to screen the quicktime files ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Lee Scioneaux
on Jun 5, 2010 at 4:55:25 pm

I've only got one FCP workstation, and the PC machines are being utilized by those on my staff that will review interviews, log information etc etc....they don't necessarily need any features involving interaction with FCP...essentially just need to be able to access the media and make notes accordingly. I downloaded trial versions of CATDV on my system and one other system, built previews of the footage I have on local storage and stored those previews on a shared volume, along with a catalog...then hopped on the PC to pull up the catalog and go through the previews as intended...except for a few things that I think are limitations due to the products being unregistered, it feels as though CATDV had all those on the PC workstations would need...so my thought process was that if the only system that needed to interact with FCP was mine..that would be the only with CATDVPro...I can easily make the investment in this model right now if it works...and if the workflow works well, can put into next year's budget a true networked model...while I'm moving from local storage to networked.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:58:51 pm

That workflow works, with limitations.

The way you're doing it is fine as long as the proxy and catalogs are on a shared folder that all machines can access.

The limitations are search and management. You won't be able to search across catalogs, (admittedly, not the end of the world in a small shop)

The management is a little trickier so I mention it as a caveat.

If someone drags a clip into multiple catalogs, you won't be able to easily figure that out or search for duplicates, so know that you may end up with mixed metadata. Mostly it's a problem when two people add metadata to two versions of the same clip without knowing that the other exists. The metadata is only applied tot the one, obviously.

Be careful of that and you can create, and view catalogs and proxy and then publish them straight up to the Server when you upgrade.

I would also match your versions as far as pro and not pro. The data can be damaged and also the features you will be missing will likely bum out your users. In addition, your upgrade path will be simpler from Pro to Server. No sense wasting money.

Also one more thought, once you are familiar and have some catalogs created, maybe get someone to set up a demo of server in your shop so you can see the package work as it's truly meant to work, so you and your users don't give up before you see it all work as designed.

Have fun and thanks for posting!

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]