FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing FCP7 XML (produced in CatDV) to PPro CS6

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay Simpson
Importing FCP7 XML (produced in CatDV) to PPro CS6
on Mar 9, 2013 at 12:56:37 am

After numerous logging and re-logging events due to our convoluted workflow (a story for another day...) I finally decided to determine how to import/export metadata created in either CatDV or Premiere Pro CS6 to one or the other piece of software on a PC based system.

I came across this Creative Cow post: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/278/1194#1194

This was helpful, but I am experiencing some issues when importing an XML exported from CatDV (v9 Pro edition with MXF archive option) into PPro.

The clips for which the XML file were created in this test are P2 MXF. When the XML file is imported into PPro it only brings in the video portion of the MXF package leaving the clips with no audio. When opened in the PPro source monitor the video is also, squished to 4:3 from it's native 16:9 HD frame size. However, the 'Notes' metadata added in CatDV is properly imported. Is there a means to import the XML file and point the metadata to P2 MXF media which was imported first using PPro's Media Browser?

When it comes to exporting an XML from PPro to import into CatDV, I am also having trouble. Using the 'Notes' field in PPro I added metadata to a series of clips and then exported an FCP7 XML file. I then imported the file into CatDV, and 'Updated Media Location' to attach the media files imported via the XML. The saved metadata was accessible in CatDV, but after the media attachment was performed the video preview also displayed a squished 4:3 image rather than the true 16:9. Is there a way to avoid this?

Also, I do have some media that has been previously logged in PPro using the 'Description' field under the 'Dublin Core' heading of PPRo's XMP data fields in its Metadata panel. Is there anyway to add a field in a CatDV catalog to connect to PPro's 'Description' field? Otherwise looks like I will be copy/pasting into the 'Notes' field to update that metadata once I have cleared up the XML import issue.

I understand you can add metadata in CatDV and drag/drop a clip directly into PPro with the data attached. I tested this with one of the clips appearing 4:3 after the XML import described in the latter paragraph, and was pleasantly surprised the dragged/dropped clip from CatDV into the project panel of PPro was in its native format and frame size with video and audio attached, along with the associated 'Notes' metadata. This leaves me wondering why CatDV is previewing the HD footage as squeezed 4:3 when imported via XML. Thoughts on this?

I do have a Calibrated Codec suite installed, just FYI.

I'm happy to provide more details, screen shots, copies of the test XML files if need be, please just let me know.

Thanks for any suggestions or feedback :)

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: Importing FCP7 XML (produced in CatDV) to PPro CS6
on Mar 13, 2013 at 9:59:16 pm

Hi Lindsay,

Without geting into the specific issues mentioned in your message, as that would require some detailed investigation where we might ask you to mail some XML files to support@squarebox.com, I do know that we made a number of changes to the FCP7 XML export function in CatDV 10 to support CS6. I believe these may have included aspect ratio and/or audio issues. Drop us an email so we can set you with a demo license of CatDV 10 for testing, so we can confirm whether this is something we've already addressed or you have a new issue.

More generally, are you familiar with the Paste Metadata command in CatDV? This can be useful in all sorts of situations where you have two lists of clips, perhaps one which links to the media correctly and the other which contains your log notes, and you want to combine them.

-Rolf

Return to posts index

Lindsay Simpson
on Mar 20, 2013 at 6:01:19 pm

Hi Rolf,

I have downloaded and installed the demo CatDV 10 provided by Squarebox, and then began testing XML files again.

The same issue is recurring. XML imported into CatDV (from PPro export) produces a squeezed image in the catalog and vice versa. In fact, now the drag/drop function from CatDV into PPro is not working at all.

Would you like some test XML files?

I have started exploring the Paste Metadata function beginning with this post: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/278/1878

Will this tool only operate with CatDV or can metadata be pasted between PPro and CatDV, for example? My initial tests indicate it is only functional with CatDV between catalogs.

Thanks for your feedback,

Lindsay

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 22, 2013 at 10:23:15 pm

Yes please, please send a copy of the XML file that isn't working to support@squarebox.com, together with a description of the problem. If you have aspect ratio problems then a screenshot that shows how the clip appears in CatDV and how it appears in Premiere would be helpful also.

The Paste Metadata command only works within CatDV but is useful in all sorts of situations, including when you import the same list of clips twice using different mechanisms.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]