FORUMS: list search recent posts

Licensing Server Config (Linux virtual machine)

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Goddard
Licensing Server Config (Linux virtual machine)
on Mar 8, 2013 at 4:42:41 pm

We are doing some tests on a linux virtual machine. Where can we configure the licensing server (found under the mac based GUI 'Edit Server Config / License Server'?

We have tried catdv.properties. What are the other config files for these elements?

Are there any drawbacks to running the server in this way? I will try to find the specs of the virtual machine and post later.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Licensing Server Config (Linux virtual machine)
on Mar 8, 2013 at 5:30:17 pm

I've not done one in linux but we do a lot of our dev on vm's with OS X and Win 2008 server. Should be fine and way easier to manage a linux box that way.

Scott, I've been really considering beefed up linux servers for our larger clients as well. I'm assuming that we can get a far stronger server config (SSD raids, 10Gb enet, etc...) for less money, and leave the Workers on whatever OS the client wants.

Thanks for paving the way on this.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on Mar 8, 2013 at 6:54:38 pm

I will be doing some further remote tests over the weekend but all is looking good so far, very snappy.

Dealing with larger organizations they often have the infrastructure in place for this already. It also helps because it is often easier to set that virtual machine outside of the complex internal network infrastructure. This particularly helps when access is needed worldwide and not just on the LAN.

Certainly a SSD Raid would help. In your experience how large would a 10K asset SQL database grow (average sized thumbnails and just the metadata). How heavy does the metadata get in your experience? Just would help for planning the virtual machine volume size. I am sure it can't be that big.

Planning to use rsync for managing sync between master proxy folder and external 'local client' proxy folders. Do you use this? If not what else do you use for syncing proxy folders in this scenario. It's important for the users (some on low bandwidth) to have local proxies.

Next week I should have some more time to fully test the Linux VM.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:25:22 pm

I did a little "tour" of some servers based on your question and here are three db status reports.

Client A:

clips: 943,830
thmbs: 1,326,924
data size: 6.5GB

Client B:

clips: 191,931
thmbs: 284,368
data size: 1.2 GB

Client C:

clips: 27,310
thmbs: 14,972
data size: 85MB

They seem fairly linear from what I can see, but know that some folks go crazy with thumbnails. (Scene Detect creates a thumb for every mark so an hour can have hundreds of thumbs for a single clip!)

As to proxy sync, you are on the right track. I've not used rsync over a wan but tons of times on a LAN. But we've used "cheaters" like Chronosync and other apps. I've even had clients with non-secure (and very small) systems use cloud sync services with decent results.

If you want to get bigger, you can use StorageDNA to sync servers quickly and their DNASync license can be bought cheaper if you get it with their LTO solution as an add-on.

The king of them all is of course Aspera but that's true Enterprise with a price to match. SDNA is cheaper and chronosync is $40 and then rsync is just admin time and your brain. ;)

A buddy of mine and I ran a CatDV db on Amazon years ago just for fun. (Wow that sounds geeky.) It was fine but I think you are onto the true solution. The timing is crazy, as this am I was on a call with one of our dev guys and he was discussing running a db clustered on a vm with iscsi sharing the data files. A bit much for CatDV maybe but it's truly amazing how far you can scale with database technology.

Also, I believe we might see some db replication and sync coming in the future, as larger clients choose CatDV, so stay tuned.

Hope these numbers help.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:45:57 pm

Those numbers are exactly what I am after.. thanks for that. It's good to know that our 60GB VM will keep us afloat for a while ;)

We are planning to run rsync with bandwidth scheduling, so once it hits 1900hrs and several hundred people have left the building it will really start to move some data. As rsync is built into most systems it will simply be a one file installation and then its pretty much left alone with no GUI for people to mess with! I will let you know how I get on with it.

Scott

Neo Verite Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Mar 11, 2013 at 9:40:49 pm

A rule I use to help people plan is roughly speaking 100k assets equals a Gigabyte of db size. This is a rough and conservative but has not let me down yet. I have seen literally hundreds of servers and Bryson's post confirms this is a safe way to estimate the CatDV database size. Also means just about any SSD will be fine to hold the database in all but the largest environments.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]