FORUMS: list search recent posts

Purchasing Cat DV

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jody Cox
Purchasing Cat DV
on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:20:52 pm

We are looking into purchasing CatDv to get our video library organized. We have seen a demo and got a quote form a vendor. The vendor requires onsite installation and training for the product. We are curious if that is really needed or could be just purchase the software and get it up and running on our own.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Purchasing Cat DV
on Mar 1, 2013 at 6:21:26 pm

Just depends on how large and complex your situation is. A VAR is there to help if you run into problems.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Mar 1, 2013 at 6:52:20 pm

Have you considered purchasing your licenses directly from their web store?

http://www.squarebox.co.uk

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Mar 1, 2013 at 7:03:08 pm

Ugh - belay my last - apparently, you can only buy the desktop and Live Capture Plus products directly.

Too bad, because if you have any experience with Java and Tomcat, installation and configuration is pretty straight forward.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:23:01 pm

First, are we talking about the Server based product or the standalone?

The esteemed gentlemen here are correct about the base installation, it's simple, provided you have command line experience and server admin skills, which many do.

Second, full disclosure. I install MAM/DAM systems for a living, full time. My opinion is formed by that experience.

I've made my living over the past few years taking CatDV systems that were installed and "running" and making them do more or correcting mistakes that were made in the initial deployment. Sometimes these were expensive mistakes.

Let's separate the idea of "CatDV" and a DAM. You can get CatDV running in an afternoon. You can get a university degree in Digital Asset Management.

The common issues we see in DIY systems are as follows. (These are focused on the mid-size to larger operation.) If you are a 2 person shop, and don't manage expensive assets or plan to deliver these assets to a larger organization, your case may differ, but these are useful to read and consider.

Time - Are you an IT person with hours available to work on the deployment? (Also, how much do you like the people on this board?) Finally, do you have a hard deadline to make? Note that many people looking for answers on here don't have the ability to press for a swift resolution as you would if you had a contracted solution provider.

Long term goals - Will this system do more in the future? Digital Distribution, long term archiving, automation of repetitive tasks and other advanced workflows are possible once you have a MAM in place. Might be a good idea to make sure your data is in good shape and follows industry best practices before you spend months or years entering it into a system.

Project Management - Do you have the authority to gather your teams into groups and lead them through the process of developing a metadata schema and defining a specific workflow?

Documentation/Training - Are you prepared (read: allowed the time) to document what you do so that your company does not have to train from scratch the process you've outlined? This is the most overlooked item we see. Even our deployments often remove it and then re-add it later when the need becomes apparent and or budget permits.

Technical Skill Set - This really goes back to time. Anyone can learn about MAM or advanced scripting (note scripting skills are only needed for more involved workflows.) The question is, "Do you want to?" If you have a full time job creating content, and assuming that a well deployed MAM is integrated once and then modified as needed only a few times, then why spend your time on it? We see tons of systems where people were able to get the mysql, apache tomcat and other processes installed but none of them are backed up or able to be troubleshot effectively. Don't make your first call a 911. Build a relationship early with service providers. (Again, there are tons of great IT people who can do this. Just make sure you have them on speed dial before you base your business on a system.)

Budget Planning - If you buy this yourself, it's up to you to manage your budget. Often in MAM systems the deployment costs far more than the software. This is due to the nature of customizing databases. Your dealer will help you ensure that at the end of the project, you have a working system within your budget. Your dealer should be able to articulate what functions the system will perform when the project is complete. If they say you can do "everything" in phase one, they are likely lying. ;)

My favorite way to explain this all is with cars. You can build a "better" car yourself given the time and skills. But you might just want to buy the BMW with all the parts on it already. It's all about time, skills, budget and what you are looking for.

Think of your dealer/integrator as a top of the line car customizer. They build these "better than stock" systems for you. They help you choose the fancier engine first or a nicer interior and then they plan when you buy each piece so you can manage the budget. That way, you can enjoy driving it... not busting knuckles putting on rims or staring at a manual.

now, let me go add this to the FAQ on my site. ;)

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 7, 2013 at 2:28:11 am

here is my stupid 2 cents.

Download Cat DV Pro 10. You have a 30 day free trial. Download the documentation. Read it. Try to figure things out. See how it goes. Maybe you will pick it up and say "wow, this is easy", maybe you will say "this is not very intuitive". I ALWAYS encourage people to download the free single user trial, and give it a go. You will be able to determine all by yourself if you need professional integration and support, or if you can "do it all by yourself". Why listen to anyone on this forum.

With that said, it's my opinion, that once you get past the basics, you will probably get confused. You will probably want to know how to customize CatDV so that it matches your needs, and your workflow. You may say, after having the trial version "gee, I think I need some help here". But maybe this won't happen, and you can figure it out by yourself with the manual that you can download from the .pdf site.

Because Square Box allows you to download the full version of the single user CatDV Pro 10 for free for a few weeks, there is no excuse to not do it RIGHT NOW, and try it out, before you let any dealer talk you into something. I personally think you will want help ultimately, but dont' listen to me, or anyone else - do the download, and try it out on any of your computers.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 7, 2013 at 4:44:02 pm

Bob, that's a pretty good .02, and worth way more than the price. ;)

I do think it's critical to keep in mind the 2 sides of this post.

1. Want to buy an application to manage a few assets and create some proxy? Then a download will be a fair demo.

2. Want to implement a Digital Asset Management system? That's a whole other project and has little to do with the standalone download. For instance, if you've been looking at Cantemo Portal, Levels Beyond, Media Beacon or any of the other mid-sized to enterprise DAM products, the demo download will likely leave you unimpressed, if only because all of those other products involve days to weeks of consulting and deployment, as does a fully funcional implementation of CatDV Server with all the trimmings.

CatDV Pro is a great little app that you can download and use instantly. Done.

CatDV Pro, with Server and Worker and an archiving system and maybe 2 or 3 other systems is a solid DAM/MAM that you can run a complete facility on. That one might take a few days to weeks to months to evaluate properly, just like any other DAM.

Be sure you are clear as to what you are evaluating when you click that download button but by all means, do it!

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Jody Cox
on Mar 7, 2013 at 5:18:39 pm

Bryson,
Will you be at NAB?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 7, 2013 at 5:53:40 pm

I will, along with a few members of the NSA team.

We will be visiting a few booths of our partner vendors and dealers and also have a demo suite in the Renaissance. We now have dealer partners in most regions of the country as well and they will all have show floor contact info.

Our schedules will be posted on our site the week before NAB and you will be able to check in at a few booths to reach us as well.

Stand by for a full schedule as we get closer to the show.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 13, 2013 at 10:47:41 pm

One of the strengths of CatDV is that it is very scalable. You can get started very easily and just drag in a folder of media files to create a basic catalog without any setup or training required. On the other hand, as you start using it it can very quickly come to embody your entire production workflow, so complex questions like storage, networking, archiving, editing, access control, and overall workflow design such as automated processing and enforcing project conventions, become more and more important. Designing a complete workflow tailored to your particular requirements is far from trivial (whatever software you use!), so it's likely you might want some help with that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]