FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with XDCAM Video Previews with CatDV 9 Pro and Calibrated Software

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay Simpson
Problem with XDCAM Video Previews with CatDV 9 Pro and Calibrated Software
on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:11:03 am

Hi,

I have been running CatDV 9 Pro with MXF and Archiving option for well over a year now and have been relying on the demo version of the Calibrated Software linked below.

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000029

After cutting all the red tape, I was finally able to get my full license purchased for the Calibrated suite, and was looking forward to removing the watermark for exporting and full clip video previews in CatDV.

So far, mostly good. Of the 4 media types ingested into various catalogs, only one is causing an issue. All of our XDCAM media, shot on a JVC GY-HM700 camera, is still limited to only 30 second clip previews in any given catalog containing the media. All the other media types appear to have recognized the fully-license Calibrated software and allow for full-length clip preview.

I attempted 'Re-Import As' >> 'XDCAM' on a couple of clips, which I had hoped would refresh the preview, but it simply created a duplicate clip in the catalog. The new clip did not replicate the metadata attached to the original.

Is there a solution to this dilemma? Or perhaps a route to re-import maintaining metadata attached the originally imported clip, Log Notes data to be specific?

Thanks for your input,
Lindsay

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Problem with XDCAM Video Previews with CatDV 9 Pro and Calibrated Software
on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:29:09 am

I seem to remember reading that you may have to reimport clips that were originally imported using the demo version. There was something deep in the Calibrated documentation to that effect — that some files would need that treatment. I don't mean "reimport as," but remove the originals and import the media into CatDV all over again. A limitation of using the demo version of the software.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Bob Spencer
on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:46:58 pm

Hi Lindsay-

From the Calibrated manual, you can get instructions to use Calibrated Import Assist's "REFRESH" feature to reset the length of the media that was imported during demo mode. Look at page 35 here:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/downloads/CalibratedQ-ImportAssist-UserGu...

Bob Spencer

Video Technologies Group LLC
bob "at" vtgny.com
vtgny.com

Return to posts index

Lindsay Simpson
on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:57:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Bob I will take a look at the link and proceed.

I appreciate your efforts.

Lindsay

Return to posts index

Lindsay Simpson
on Feb 27, 2013 at 6:04:10 pm

Whoops! I made the rookie mistake of failing to mention that I am working on a PC based system.

Bob, it appears based on this user manual that the 'Refresher' feature is a Mac-only feature. Bummer.

Oh well, at least my XDCAM media is my smallest library. Looks like I'll be re-importing manually for now.

Thanks again
Lindsay

Return to posts index

Bob Spencer
on Feb 27, 2013 at 8:25:18 pm

Hi Lindsay-
that is a mac-only feature, but there are some options.

First, here's a quick snippet from Calibrated's developer:
"Per CatDV - they have to re-import (i.e. not use the 're-import as...' in CatDV but actually remove and then re-import the files) if they were using our software in DEMO MODE for Calibrated{Q} MXF Import or Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import (this is stated in the CatDV sections in the MXF Import User Guide and MP4-EX Import User Guide).

There is a feature in CatDV called 'Re-Analyse Media' under the Tool menu header in CatDV that can update the file after licensing our software without needing to re-import the file BUT this feature does not work for 'metaclips' in CatDV 8 or CatDV 9 - it was fixed to work with metaclips in CatDV 10 (i.e. if they're not using CatDV10 then that feature won;t work for them and they'll have to re-import the files".

The other thing you can do if you want to preserve metadata tags and logging is to copy the existing CatDV cliprecord into a new catalog, then delete and re-import the media. After the media comes in as a new clip at full duration, you can select it and choose "Paste Metadata" from the Edit menu - you'll be given the option to paste 'only if empty' so you don't overwrite anything(you may need to go back and copy the original clip again before this step).

Bob Spencer

Video Technologies Group LLC
bob "at" vtgny.com
vtgny.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]