FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Proxies

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donald Thompson
Audio Proxies
on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:22:51 pm

Attempting to make audio proxies and continually get quicktime.std.StdQTException[QTJava:7.6.6g],-50=paramErr,QT.vers:7668000

Video proxies convert correctly.

Cat DV9 and now CatDV10.

Any Advice will be appreciated.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Audio Proxies
on Feb 20, 2013 at 7:52:30 pm

Could you let us know:

Are you using the Worker or CatDV client?

Are you trying to use the same proxy settings for video and audio files?

I was able to create an audio only proxy setting on CatDV Pro 10.0.1 that worked to make an AAC proxy. However I do sometimes run into file naming issues on these.

As a general practice we break audio and still image proxy creation out to separate scripts to ease the load on the worker node. But you can easily set up different proxy profiles in the Worker for each file type and it should be fine. (in the Worker you can control file names by using variables so QT can't mess you up.)

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Donald Thompson
on Feb 20, 2013 at 11:02:36 pm

Hello Bryson,

I am using the worker node and a server query for my audio files.
The setting are: Quicktime Exporter, Movie Format AIFF, linear, stereo, 32KHz. Quality Normal and sample size 16.

I have tried AAC without success.

Thank you,

Don

Return to posts index

Jason Whetstone
on Feb 22, 2013 at 3:34:25 pm

You could try making the audio proxies movie files that do not contain a video track. This is what we do... but I use Compressor to make all my proxies which frees Worker up to do other things. I have Compressor create a movie file that contains an AAC audio track and no video track.

Return to posts index

Donald Thompson
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:12:33 pm

Thanks for your response Jason.

Yes, I have also been using Compressor, but would prefer to have the worker node handle the audio file conversions automatically.

I have 10 workstations with CatDV Pro 10. Our producers and editors create catalogs from media on our edit SAN. The Worker node queries and queues video and audio files for proxy creation, which is working well for video,(video proxy creation is much faster with CatDV 10.)

I am still searching for the "formula" to create audio proxies through CatDV.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:59:02 pm

2 ideas, if CatDV Worker can export the audio correctly but is messing up the names (this seems to be an issue with QT) you can direct the exports to the correct path and name them using variables.

If you're not comfortable with this, contact your dealer.

They also could set up Worker to fire Compressor jobs through the command line.

Kevin Duggan has discussed the Compressor thing here before. NSA's dealers offer it as a professional service. Because of the environmental issues and potential problems with the command line, I'm not comfortable posting it for DIY and answering the 200 posts about "why my Compressor is broken." (Ah, our old friend/enemy Compressor.) ;)

It's better to have someone to assist and keep it running unless you have that skill set in-house. That said, the command line interface is covered pretty well in the Compressor manual, if you have the time and desire.

The use of variables is in the Worker Read Me, if you choose to go that way but if you've not used them a lot you might want someone to help you set up your first actions.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 13, 2013 at 10:31:20 pm

Not sure why you'd be getting a -50 error when creating an .aiff but creating an audio-track-only .mov file is a good solution. Apart from anything else, that's something that CatDV will pick up. When looking for the proxy for a file called file.xyz CatDV will look in the proxy folder for something called file.xyz, file.mov, file.mp4, or file.jpg.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]