FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dragging file from Finder to FCP shortens in/out of the same clip listed in CatDV Catalogue file

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Khashyar Darvich
Dragging file from Finder to FCP shortens in/out of the same clip listed in CatDV Catalogue file
on Feb 8, 2013 at 5:14:52 am

Hello Everyone,

I posted an issue a couple days ago about clips in CatDV being permanently "clipped" or shortened when selecting ins and outs of that clip, and adding them to a sequence to import to Final Cut Pro: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/278/3020

When I met with the editor today who was experiencing the issue, I wanted to recreate the issue with him so ran a test, and then we discovered that the issue was actually caused by:

1) highlighting a clip in CatDV, and then selecting "Reveal in Finder"

2) Once the clip was revealed in Finder, dragging the clip from Finder into an open Final Cut Pro clip window

3) Once we returned to the CatDV window, the clip was abbreviated with an arbitrary shorter in and out point, that is much shorter than the master clip. That clip is permanently shortened (to less than 2% of its full length", and "Toggle Subclip" does not reveal the master clip.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall CatDV, but the issue was not resolved.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Khashyar
Los Angeles

Producer-Director
Wakan Films
Hollywood, CA
http://www.wakan.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Dragging file from Finder to FCP shortens in/out of the same clip listed in CatDV Catalogue file
on Feb 8, 2013 at 5:21:50 am

What happens if you do a standard drag and drop into FCP from WITHIN CatDv, not using the finder?

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Dragging file from Finder to FCP shortens in/out of the same clip listed in CatDV Catalogue file
on Feb 8, 2013 at 11:29:24 pm

I've never seen this but I can't see as how it would be possible for this to happen. Check the clip in QT Player please.

Anyone see this?

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Feb 9, 2013 at 2:51:02 am

I don't believe that we're getting the whole picture. The process described makes no sense

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
on Sep 22, 2013 at 6:02:39 am

Hi Everyone...

I think I found the solution...

Firstly, let me say that we were having the issue because we were using CatDV 9 and FCP 6, and with DV codec footage that was created with clipwrap from an mts file...

So, I don't know why the issue happened, but I believe it is solved (in case others are having the same issue).

Firstly, let me say I think it is because FCP 6 or CatDV 9 was writing an erroneous in/out point in the clips.

In any event, today, on the shortened clips, we tried:

1) Selectin the shortened clips

2) "Tools"

3) "Re-Analyse Meda," and the clips were restored to their full length again.

So, the issue must have been one of the applications writing faulty data into the metadata...

I am relieved that it is an easy fix, since up until now, we have been reimporting clips and copying logging info from the shortened clips to the newly imported clips.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this thread.

(By the way, we are now using FCP 7).

Producer-Director
Wakan Films
Hollywood, CA
http://www.wakan.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]