FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thumbnails don't display in "File System"

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luca Viterbo
Thumbnails don't display in "File System"
on Jan 30, 2013 at 11:51:34 am

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I've just upgraded to "CatDV 10.0.1 Standard Edition" and all is ok except for the browsing in File System panel, where I'd like to preview items to import in my catalogues. I'm on OS X Lion 10.7.5
Whenever I double click on any folder containing images or videos, the thumbnails are empty with a red square around and a message is displayed in the bottom bar:"Read only view". Nonetheless if I click on any empty thumbnail the image is diplayed correctly in the viewer, and if I import them in any catalog then the thumbnails are displayed with no problem, so this happens only when browsing is "File System".

More than that if I try to browse the "File System" in CatDV 9 this problem disappear, this happens only on 10.0.1. I try to search around the web and someone talks about file permission and I try to change them in "read and write" for all but nothing change, and I don't think that's the matter because CatDV 9 can handle files and CatDV 10 doesn't.

Don't know if the problem is that I have 2 versions installed, but I tried to download a Trial of 10.0.1 on my PC at work on a windows machine and the problem is still there.

Anyone have these problems? Seems not...I can't find anything around the web.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Thumbnails don't display in "File System"
on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:09:15 am

CatDV creates thumbnails when it analyzes media and adds them to the catalog.

When you're browsing, generally the preferred behavior is to not have to wait for thumbnails to be generated. (On a small file count it's fine but if you browse a folder with several thousand images you'll see what I mean. I'm in a folder with 2000 files and as I type this, the last images are far from being parsed.

I'd assume this was changed to speed things up and improve stability. I've never noticed this as I don't use CatDV to browse a lot but I confirm the same behavior.

Interesting.

As I finish this post CatDV 9.0.6 is less than half the way through this one folder I was casually "browsing". Maybe the change is best as it really taxed my system while it did that temporary job.

Squarebox or JB&A guys can this be turned on and off?

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Feb 1, 2013 at 2:59:19 pm

When navigating the file system in the tree of CatDV it is making the thumbnails on the fly as those assets thumbnails have not been saved to the server or catalog. I suggest right clicking on the folder in the tree and exploring things as you can quickly add to catalog for example it does not make thumbnails or click import to catalog it does. I suspect this behavior has something to do with what you are seeing. In earlier versions of CatDV it always tried to make thumbnails on the fly while navigating the tree and it was sometimes brutal if you clicked on a large directory. See scree grab of right click options.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Feb 3, 2013 at 2:47:10 pm

Interesting, you're correct and this seems to have stopped working. We'll fix it in CatDV 10.0.2, due in the next week or so. But Bryson and Matt are correct that directly browsing a folder's contents like that isn't a very commonly used feature, which I guess is why this was missed.

Return to posts index

Luca Viterbo
on Feb 3, 2013 at 3:14:22 pm

Yes, I agree with Matthew and Bryson, in most cases the automatic generated thumbnails si something you don't want especially in folder with thousands of images.

As Bryson said maybe this could become a user's choice to turn it on or off.

Thanks to all for the clarifications

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:46:37 pm

It's off by default, you need to double click on specific folders of interest if you want to browse their contents in the main window (rather than just list the files in the tree when you expand the folder).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]